Steering Question

PapaBB

Cadet
Hi,

I have a 1986 22CC Hydra Sport powered by 2000 150HP Johnson with hydraulic steering..

She has a deep V type hull but no real keel as such (see photos), so I believe this makes her very 'lively' for controlling turning while steering??

I find her to be very hard to handle with regard to steering control, especially at slow speed in tight areas such as when docking in congested/tight dock areas..

My boat don't seem to respond well to steering, especially in reverse or even forward sometimes, which results in me comming very close to other boats or dock items etc.. She is slow to answer to any steering and seems to either oversteer in forward and understeer in reverse??

I have considered adding additional keels to hull, starbord and port maybe 15 - 18" from center, but I think they would be in the way for loading/unloading onto trailer??

Anybody experience similar issues??

Any advice and/or suggestions??

Papa Bill

IMAG1249.jpg IMAG1209.jpg IMAG1208.jpg

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Steering Question

Next

Last edited:

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is your lack of response between the steering wheel and the motor, is the motor moving as soon as you turn the wheel. Is it the water. What is your boating experience. some times the current ripping can add to your frustration. With boats that do not handle that well you need plan your approach and go slow When you over steer are you giving it more throttle because your getting frustrated? I am not trying to offend you. If it is mechanical that can be repaired, if its your skill level then take some time with boat in a area that is not crowed and get to know your vessel.

PapaBB

Cadet

Response between wheel and motor fine.
Yes, motor responds instantly without any play/slop.
Water conditions not an issue overall,,,,, just as bad in smooth calm water with no current.
My approach plan is always slow and cautious with an eye to possible obstacles and congestion.
I'm not one to get frustrated and over-throttle but rather tend to feather throttle as situations present themselves (no offense taken).
I've operated my boat now for about 5 years so am pretty comfortable and confident with my abilities in that area.
I do manage to operate/manuver in tight areas but I am just wondering if anyone with my type boat who might have or is experiencing these conditions that have made additions/modifications to hull/keel to help??

When steering forward, at idle speed, boat wanders from port to starbord, and when reversing it doesnt answer to wheel very well at all but rather just wants to go straight line back,,,,, I'm thinking that it just sees the flat bottom portion pushing water without any keel follow-up??

just wondering if anything can make life easier,,, in these situations??