New to me Gulfstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8s12981

Recruit
Hey all,

I just picked up what I think to be a late 70's gulfstream. It has a mercruiser i/o with a MCM 898... This is my first boat and I am trying to get my hands on any type of research I can. Are there any other online resources you guys are using? Thanks.

Nate

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New to me Gulfstream

Nice boat! I am lucky that I get to see my old Gulfstream often, because I practically gave it to my niece and her husband for just that reason. Most all the info I found on it was right here in this section of the forum...which is not much info.

But I do know that they are very solid, well built boats. They were built in Salt Lake City, and went out of business sometime in the early 80's I think. Our neighbor had one when I was a kid, and it was the coolest thing on the water back then, IMO. I searched and searched for more info on it, but did not find anything. If you find something, post it up.

My Gulfstream was very dependable and problem free for the 7 to 8 years I had it. And, it is still going strong today.

Happy boating in your new toy.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey all,

I just picked up what I think to be a late 70's gulfstream. It has a mercruiser i/o with a MCM 898... This is my first boat and I am trying to get my hands on any type of research I can. Are there any other online resources you guys are using? Thanks.

Nate

Post some pictures Nate. Like TJD said, the most that you will ever find on the Gulfstream is in this thread. Hope you will be able to add to it as your ownership and use progresses.

For some structural insight, I hope you took the time to look at my shareaproject tutorial.

EDIT: I did just see your posted pics. Nice looking boat. Hope you are able to keep it undercover. Also. I'd loose that whale tale and get yourself a set of SmartTabs. They are incredible on this boat.

SmartTabs.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Can anybody recommend a decent cover for this boat?

A Costco style canopy would be your best bet. Otherwise you would be best to construct some kind of tent support and buy any of the waterproof covers that fit 20 ft runabouts.

btw, your 898 merc is circa 1978 or so. Mine is a '75.

n8s12981

Recruit

I found the old registration in the glovebox the other day. It says that the boat is an '80. The merc should be of the same vintage right? I got it cranking the other day but didn't get it to fire. Checked the ignition, and the points gap was way outta spec. Then i got side tracked on the trim pump and it got too dark outside. Back to the trim pump... I realized that the power lead from the battery to the line side of the pump solenoid was missing after comparing pics of it online. Now I'm wondering what else might be missing on this drivetrain. Does anyone have a picture of their engine bay that I can compare mine to?

Gulfstreamer

Seaman Apprentice

Hey nice boat!! keep the pics coming my son and I are rebuilding ours, and need pics.

n8s12981

Recruit

This thread hasn't been touched in a while. Any updates on your rebuild Gulfstreamer?

Bmoe

Recruit
Hello New to me Gulf Stream
I have an 1983 GS 20' with and OMC as in a picture in this thread. I also am in a rebuild process. I am converting it to captain chairs of recent design. The interior had deteriorated before I bought it but the hull was virtually perfect. It also is in the yellow hues. My major concern is replacing the outdrive knuckles.. It appears that it was run partially tilted. Every thing .else is good including the very easy loading original trailer. I'll follow this thread. God's speed on your project
PS I have kept all the original upholstery incase anybody needs patterns. The bow seating backrest is one piece wrap-a-round; a little bit complicated to copy without a pattern.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A little tough to follow a thread that been dead for close to 9 years.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.