Grumman Sportboat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's a couple of shots of my Grumman Sportboat. Presently based at my place in Florida, made in 1959 and no leaks yet. Those guys in Marathon NY built quality!

15'-3" long x 43" beam, 112#, rated for 7hp but I recently changed the old Johnson 6 for a Yamaha 8hp. It gets a lot of use in the rivers and canals.

Attachments

• cus10020b.jpg
    cus10020b.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 9
  • dscf0158a.jpg
    dscf0158a.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 9

mr.rabbit

Recruit
Re: Grumman Sportboat

Do you have any more pictures of your Grumman Sportboat?

I'd love to see more.

calfeexp

Cadet

How does it go with the eight horse? Is it too heavy? I just got a 76 and wondering what to power it with.

....................................................Tom C

Pappy58

Cadet

Am in Central Florida and am currently looking for one of these. Have several vintage engines to run on one and I think it would be a sweet platform to run my small engines on. Where are those photos taken? Let me know if you know where another one is!

calfeexp

Cadet

I am from Mass southcoast. You don't see them for sale very often. There was two in NH a few weeks ago and he was selling one. Of course this does you no good at all. It isn't listed anymore besides, but those were the first ones I've seen in six months.

Join this group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/grumman_sport_boat/

there are only 61 members but sometimes someone is selling or knows of one.

............................Good Luck Tom C

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have one for sale. Currently in ND but could be transported to the Minneapolis area.

1990 or 1991 boat. Aluminum color, not painted green
1999 Johnson 4 hp 2-stroke twin. Motor is like new and has very low hours.
Just took some photos this weekend.

Send me a PM if interested.

CLSHEP

Recruit

Is your grumman sportboat still for sale? Could you send me some photo's and a detailed condition report ?
Is there a trailer to go with it ?
Are you the original owner ?
Green camo or aluminum ?
email address:

Last edited by a moderator:

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,
I have an earlier version (1950?) sportboat w. a totally flat bottom. I have placed a Mahogany plank gunnel to gunnel inside my transom and have run a 15 h.p. Suzuki ( very heavy) on it. It's scary and incredibly fast.
I've actually raced against your style boat w. the owner using an old 10 h.p.green topped Mercury and I was using a 1957 7.5 Evinrude. The flay bottomed earlier version is apparently much faster. The style that you have was deemed the " Portage " type boat since it has a greater capacity for load. The earlier version is very tender and one needs to sit almost dead center for stability, but it will plane w. one person in it w. just 3 h.p. The later version seems to have difficulty getting up to plane. I've been in both vessels and the later one lends a greater feeling of stability, by far. But, I wouldn't sell mine for ANYTHING. They built the BEST ALUMINUM BOATS ever on the water.

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

If you mount a 2X6 board on the inside of the transom, it will handle a 9.9 up to a 15 h.p.. It will be scary in the turns, but no problem for the aluminum. I've been using a Suzuki ( heavy ) 15 h.p. for years now, w. no obvious stress cracks or bends in the transom.

mrlatj

Cadet

In addition to the board mounted on the inside of the transom, what if anything are you using on the outside of the transom?

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

In addition to the board mounted on the inside of the transom, what if anything are you using on the outside of the transom?

I have a piece of 1/2 inch stained and shaped plywood ( sacrificial ) on the outside of my transom. The earliest Sportboats have a FLAT bottom and flat gunnels, and can plane and go faster with less H.P. than the later models.

ladnar

Recruit
Hello, I am "new" to this forum, I have a 1975 Grumman sport boat with sail rig, I am missing the lee board (thwart) Bracket, anyone have any pictures, technical drawings, measurements or something I can use to make one, or I would buy it if someone has this piece?
I also have a 17' double ender and a 12'9" solo, love my Grummans.
Thanks, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.