Advice on a 1978 Grew with ford 305 188hp and mercruiser outdrive.

I would like advice on this. i have an opportunity to buy this boat, 2o', 1978 Grew with ford 305 188hp and mercruiser outdrive. Very good condition, marina repaired. I am told this combination of motor and drive is very good on gas. I was really taken on the last boat I bought and it now sits sans motor in my yard. Missed the entire 2009 season.
The gentleman who owns this is asking $5300 OBO. I spoke to the marina where it is now wrapped for the winter. It has only had 2 owners. The service was always done at that Monto Reno Marina in Innisfil. It is said it runs very smooth.
Is $3500 a good price, what questions should I ask, what tests should be done to ensure it's in good order.
Any help would be great.
Thanks, Bob

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Advice on a 1978 Grew with ford 305 188hp and mercruiser outdrive.

Hi Bob:

I'm a bit confused as you posted 2 prices, which one is the price? Naturally cheaper is better! The question is a little hard to answer without any other details though!

kilowatts

Sorry for the confusion kilowatts. It's a 1978 20' Grew 302 188hp.They tell me that, that combination of motor and mercruizer was very easy on gas. Opinion?
The price was $3500 but since talking to him we talked $3000.It's only had 2 owners plus the marina used it as one of their service boats.
According to marina the boat was well maintained there. Whatever needed to be done was done.
Should I be afraid of the years or if all is well will it work for me.
Thanks
Bob

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Bob:

I'm a big fan of the older Grew boats. I own one myself, it's a Grew SS215 cuddy, with a Mercruiser 165 inline 6 motor. The 1970's grew models were designed by Slickcraft of Holland, Michigan and made under license by Grew in Penetanguishene, Ontario. Slickcraft was the forerunner of Pursuit and Tiara yachts still owned by the Slikkers family making quality products.
In my opinion, the answer to your question is that your boat will be well powered with the 305 engine and will have reasonable fuel usage. The 305 was not noted as being a gas miser but it has more than enough power to drive your boat without being stressed so would likely be quite economical. If I were looking for such a boat I would most definitely buy it as $3000.00 for a running well maintained boat is not a great deal of money! Good luck.

kilowatts

Hi Bob:

I'm a big fan of the older Grew boats. I own one myself, it's a Grew SS215 cuddy, with a Mercruiser 165 inline 6 motor. The 1970's grew models were designed by Slickcraft of Holland, Michigan and made under license by Grew in Penetanguishene, Ontario. Slickcraft was the forerunner of Pursuit and Tiara yachts still owned by the Slikkers family making quality products.
In my opinion, the answer to your question is that your boat will be well powered with the 305 engine and will have reasonable fuel usage. The 305 was not noted as being a gas miser but it has more than enough power to drive your boat without being stressed so would likely be quite economical. If I were looking for such a boat I would most definitely buy it as $3000.00 for a running well maintained boat is not a great deal of money! Good luck.

kilowatts

:) Kilowatts.

Thank you so much for the advice. It helps me a lot. I don't know if it makes a difference but the motor is a 302, but there can't be too much difference. Tis boat is in the Barry area and I plan on going to see it around March 12th, if weather permits.
There's another boat in the same area. A 1980 19' Thundercraft. Same story well maintained and marina serviced. Wrapped and winterized. $2500. Here is the link if you could find the time to take a peek and advise. Thank you very much.
Bob
http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...motorboats-19-Thundercraft-W0QQAdIdZ241279560