hurray for Grew

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: hurray for Grew

Best heavy water boat there is, Got Grew 215, 302V8 runs fast keep in best shape cannot be replaced, there is better interior space compaired to boats today.
named "GREW"VIN" see ya on the water

DTHOUSAND

Cadet

Wow that was the first boat I ever owned!!! 1978 17 foot with a smallblock chevy nice quick boat. I'll have to dig out a picture.

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had a late '60's or early '70's Slickcraft by Grew. We never could really tell what the vintage it was since it didn't have a serial number/model number. I believe it was a 234 (22' 10"). It had a small block Chevy (283 ci v8) with an OMC sterndrive rated at 210 hp, I believe. Teak everywhere. We had it set up for Lake Ontario Salmon fishing in the '80's. Man could that boat take a pounding!! I upgraded all of the electricals on the helm, added CB and VHF radios, LORAN-C (no GPS back then!!), electric downriggers, Lowrance paperchart sounder, stereo, etc. Engine and stern drive ran very well for the years we had it but that OMC sterndrive boot always made me nervous! Only had one shift coil go bad once. Of course the forward coil let go 10 miles off shore but we had our 9.8 trolling motor to get us back. It lacked trim control and boy do I wish there were Smart Tabs back then.

I always kept the interior and bilge dry but one day the front motor mounts pulled right out of the glass encased wood. Had to use a ratchet strap to hold the fron of the engine down!! Made new motor mounts to attach to the side walls and got rid of it shortly thereafter.

When I find a picture, I'll post it.

Bigprairie1

Commander

....They aren't uncommon out here on the West Coast either. I was in the other day at a dealership and they were offering a brand new 17-5 at cost....$17k. O hours, full warranty, brand new w/ Trailer, 3.0 i/o. Nice boat....not hugely fancy but more than enough for local lake fun.
The other one they had was a 40-50hr. demonstrator for about $500-1000 buck less than the new one.
Not bad value around these parts. It makes me laugh about the local guys trying to sell a 2000-2001 for the same price....as if. Needless to see these boats were bought when the dollar was worth a whole lot less.

Mark Mckenzie

Recruit

Hey absolutley, the older Grew's were great boats. Now that's another story....cheaper, lighter, and completely NO customer support! I know of a gentleman that waited 8 months for a warranty claim on a floor replacement,then he got a nasty e-mail from the so called president of Grew that stated that "it was your fault."
I will never buy a "new Grew" ever again. The older Grews were 100 times the boat! PERIOD!