Hurricane Deckboats - Sundeck Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linc33

Seaman
I have recently become very interested in the Hurricane SunDeck 187 OB. Wondering if any iBoaters have any experience with Hurricane boats or Hurricane Dealers.<br /><br />1. Are there any members who own this boat model?<br />2. Any members who own similar (SunDeck series) boat?<br />3. Any members near the Chicagoland area that know of local, or semi-local (WI, IL, IN, MI, etc.) Hurricane dealers to recommend or warn off?<br />4. Is it typical not to find many used Hurricane Deck boats? That has been my experience so far. Good sign??<br />5. Anyone know how long this model has been in production?<br /><br />Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I'll have more.<br /><br />Thanks a lot in advance for any help.<br />--Linc

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hurricane Deckboats - Sundeck Series

4. As a whole, there are not a huge number of deck boats on the market yet - when compared to bowriders and other more common types of boats that have been around for a much longer time.

Dyna

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by bayman:<br /> 4. As a whole, there are not a huge number of deck boats on the market yet - when compared to bowriders and other more common types of boats that have been around for a much longer time.
Overall that is true but in my area the Deck boats are hugely popular & gaining fast. On lake Wisconsin & the river it seems like Pontoons are #1 with Deck boats gaining rapidly.

Linc33

Seaman

Thanks for the replies bayman, Dyna.<br /><br />Here's a couple of pics of the Hurricane Sundeck 187 OB I'm looking for more info on if people aren't familiar with the model:<br /><br />
1373258_1.jpg
<br /><br />
a_05hcsd_187ob.jpg
<br /><br />
1373258_4.jpg
<br /><br />Anyone else have any comments/experience on this model or deckboats in general?<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />--Linc33

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The 187 would be fun for just tooling along the canals. But for any kind of open water the 217 would be a very worthwhile upgrade.<br />
a_03hcsd_217ob.jpg
<br /><br />Kelly Cook

txswinner

Banned

I had a Hurricane Deckboat, not one of these but the one with the pontoon looking deck and metal fence. It was completely flat on top of the hull. It was one of the most fun rigs I have ever had. I had no problems until it was stolen from my driveway one Christmas.

Twidget

Commander

My Dad has what would be an early version of that style deckboat (its a VIP though). Its less like a bowrider than that one, it has the seating in an open concept. The driver and the rear bench seats are the only ones that face forward in his, all the others face inboard.<br /><br />He loves it and wouldnt trade it. Now that the hip replacements are in, he's back at it again. :)

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by KCook:<br /> But for any kind of open water the 217 would be a very worthwhile upgrade.<br />
a_03hcsd_217ob.jpg
<br /><br />Kelly Cook
I think the 217 offers a head as well, which I wouldn't do without!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

For deck boats, Hurricane is the standard of the industry. They simply control the market.

I've seen some pontoon boat owners switch to Hurricanes, only to come back to pontoons for superior room, ride, etc. You'd be surprised how well a 22' tritoon boat with lifting strakes and a 115 hp or 150 hp runs and handles. I've been a pontoon/tritoon owner since 1985, and am sold on them for inland waterways.

fm50ford

Cadet

I have a 1986 Hurricane fun deck boat. It is a fiberglass tri hull with flat deck and railing all around. Great old boat and more stable in wind than a pontoon. I have been told that wind can lift and even flip a pontoon but not the fiberglass tri hull. Really like it.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

There are a few at my marina. They have learned to stay off the open water and be careful around big wakes. They certainly fill their purpose well just know their limitations.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Guys really???? A thread that is from 2005!!! The original post who "owns this thread" has not been here sine 2011.

This one is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.