1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

Tron

Recruit
First timer to site and to boating---any help is greatly appreciated. Issues:

1. Is it safe to manually hold a garden hose over water intake stern vs. using a flush devise (water sock?) while running motor?

2. I removed petcock to drain for winter---now I can't see where I put it back in. Can I have someone run water into the water intake while I start the engine and see where water breaches from the engine compartment to help me locate opening for the petcock screw? (My existing manual is vague where this goes---I ordered a new manual from this site.)

3. Hydrolic stern lift is leaking. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I believe my manual says to refill with oil...is that right?

Thank you,
Nicki

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: 1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

First timer to site and to boating---any help is greatly appreciated. Issues:

1. Is it safe to manually hold a garden hose over water intake stern vs. using a flush devise (water sock?) while running motor?

No - fill a garbage pail or splurge on the $9 muffs....

1 Petcock goes port side of engine - in the side of the block sort of under the rear of the exhaust manifold - 2nd petcock is in the same area in the bottom rear of the exhaust manifold

The way to fix a leaky trim system is to find the leak and reseal it or replace leaking parts

Tron

Recruit
Re: 1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

Thank you!--BTW--I'm not that cheap---was just in a hurry and difficult to get to the boat store on the 4th. Thanks!!!