GT 160 what to look for in purchasing a boat to restore

fishervw

Seaman Apprentice
green windshiled 3.jpggreen windshiled 2.jpg

I am new to Glastron boats. I have my eye on a 1968 Gt-160 walk through. Question pertaining to evaluation of the hull. I am OK with the cosmetic changes required however are there key places I need to look at specifically with this model of Glastron to find out if it is lake worthy or in need of total repair. On that note I would also like to know if anyone knows where I can find NOS windshield glass for the same boat. Thanks Dan
Save

jbcurt00

Staff member
Start here
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...er-s-checklist

And after that its all condition condition condition

Its a nearly 50yr old boat, after that long, they are all susceptible to wood rot on the deck (floor), below decks (stringers-ie: floor joists) and transom. Much of which you can only guess-ti-mate condition until you own it.

The seller isnt likely to let you start drilling holes in the transom (FROM THE INSIDE WHEN YOU DO AND NOT ALL THE WAY THRU) until you pay in full.

fishervw

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the link. I have restored older cars and know until you start digging sometimes you don't know what you have. I guess I'm looking for GT 160 owners to weigh in and tell me their stories about their boat or Glasrons specifically.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Love these boats... definitely worth saving in my opinion!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I guess I'm looking for GT 160 owners to weigh in and tell me their stories about their boat or Glasrons specifically.

You should read through Corjen's GT-160 thread for sure. He completely rebuilt his and did an outstanding job. Odds are that unless yours has been kept in the dry for its entire life there is a good chance there is wood rot below deck and or at the transom.

They are pretty cool hull designs and I believe the one you are looking at seems like a good candidate.

There aren't that many GT owners who post specifically about their boats here so it's hard to say how many actual GT owners, or Glastron for that matter, you will get a response from. However lots of people in the resto forum have done plenty of work on fiberglass boats and the link jb gave you is a good starting point as to what to look for.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
At 45+ years old on any boat plan to replace every bit of wood in it, original build quality won't matter much at that age. Almost all boats, even much newer ones are put together the same way, so while knowing the details of a particular brand may be interesting, and fun to talk with others about, 99% of the work is the same as on any other brand or model.