Looking for other Glassmaster boat owners..

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Looking for other Glassmaster boat owners..

I just bought a glassmaster tri hull, I was told it"s a 1977, I have no idea what the model, how can I find out? it has a 80hp merc. on it. the boat is in pretty good shape for it"s age. the floor seats and carpet are 1 yr. old. were these decent boats? I got it cheap, the motor is worth what I paid for the whole package.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

A younger friend of mine just brought his grandparents 1962 13 ft. Glassmaster back to life after a 40+ year lay-up. The original 1962, 45 hp (white) Merc is still on the boat and ran great. He just spent a week on vacation with my family. His grandparents taught me to ski behind this boat in 1963 and I got to get another ski run in behind it again this year. We took a lot of pictures of the boat, so I will post one or more when I can round some up.

edit 1; found out today the model was a Sonoma
edit 2; picture is in post #128

Last edited:

JohnR.

Cadet

were these decent boats?

In my opinion these were VERY well made boats. Mine is 29 years old and still has the original floor and upholstery (except for the sun deck). Granted that it has been in my family for the last 25 years or so and we always kept it fully covered. In fact, I hate to jinx myself but other than normal maintenance items, the only things I've had to change on the entire boat were the starter motor, exhaust manifolds, out drive, front seat frames, and rear sundeck wood panels and vinyl. Unfortunately there is no hour meter on the boat but it was used heavily all summer for about 7 years straight when my father owned it and had a summer house on the lake. The floor in mine is just now starting to go a little soft but I'm sure I can get another year or two out of it.

John

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

John my floors in my 74 are getting soft in places now. I just got the outdrive back on it after a gimble bearing/U-joint bellows replacement so it will have to do for this fall. During the winter I am going to pull the floors and redo the whole boat. I love the hull and the engine so it is worth the work for the rebuild over buying something new.

Good luck with yours!

lvmyglassmaster

Recruit

Hi Bill,

I have a 1972 Glassmaster I purchased new in December 1971 in North Charlaston, SC. I sold Glassmaster boats in the '60s and owned a '66 19 ft Glassmaster Gulfstream with a 120 Mercruiser on a Rebel Trailer.

I knew the two brothers that started Glassmaster Boats. They later build the plant in Lexington and in the late sixties built a plant in Oklahoma. Llater sold out to Glidden, then owner of Shakespear. The boat manufacturing ceased and then manufactured Shakespear antennas and other glass products.

I believe the OK plant may still builds the Glassmaster boats but with a limited line.

My Tarpon was garaged 85% of it's life and until I retired and my move from SC, has it been relegated to outdoor storage but with secure and adequate covers.

The '72 Glassmaster in a Tarpon 18 foot with the 140 4 cyl Merc with power trim. I recently refurbished the boat interior and put the boat on a new drive-on trailer purchased here in California. The seating and had developed some minor wear cracking of the uphostery so I replace the covering (original colors). The side boards and such are original. I did replace the carper. The original floor covering was vinyl and replaced with carpet in the early '80s

I have the original top and rear cover bought with the boat and have added a Delta Enclosure for foul weather fishing. As well as a bimini top for summer use.

I replaced the two Mirex 12 gal tanks with custom built alum tanks made by an outfit in Lake Havasu, AZ.

The boat has been taken to Tenn, Idaho, Wash State, and now my home in Stockton, CA. The trips back and forth to SC took it's toll on the trailer frame which developed fatigue cracks.

The engine is original except for new motor mounts carb kit, fuel pump kit, and plugs/points, and a specially manufactured brass outdrive spline coupler. (Check your motor mounts and engine alignment!)

The outdrive was rebuilt by a fellow in Orangeburg, SC in the '90s because of my failure to check the oil level. I recently had a local Merc shop check and replace seals and a pressure check for leaks. I replaced all the outdrive boots. (They do go bad and leak)

I run a polished SS 23 inch cupped prop for a 40-42 mph lightly loaded.

My son lives in Newton, NC who will inherit the Glassmaster.

fmaes1

Recruit

Hi
I just picked up a 1971 glassmaster with a 70 hp johnson motor its my first boat and it need some work I have little cracks on the floor in the fibergass but the wood underneth seems good. but the floor seems solid anyone know the best and cheapest way to repair, and some of the wireing needs redone for the lights, speedo, horn. The motor runs but shuts off when I let go of the choke other then that its a pretty sound boat.
I am all new to this ad would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks

You found another Glassmaster owner. Mine is a 1982, 18' 170 Hp... what a nice boat and the fun I have had taking it from NC to Pa to Il to Ca and now back in Va. This boat has seen the US from Florida to under the Golden Gate and to Catalina Island! Now it's playing in Washington, DC and the Potomac. It has never let me down and still goes strong... I have 280 hours on the meter, and expect to see many more, even though I have a larger cruiser that I use more often.
Anyway... would love to share stories and photos...
Jim, Lorton, Va

hi there, i just joined in and spotted your boat. it looks exactly (even the colour) like the one i just bought but i think mine is a 1979 if the hull number-1979 is what that means. mine is equiped with a 170hp '470' merc-cruiser but i am not shure if it original or a replacement. do you know how to find this out? would you happen to have a user manual or have a link to one for viewing? this is my first I/O and would like to read up on them a bit for routine opperating and maintnance. do you know the model of these boats? if i haven't taken up too much of your time already, can you send me some more pics of your boat so i can compare them in detail as mine is going to need some work to get back to opptimal cruising comfort. thanks in advance. mike

i am a newbie, i just picked up a glassmaster this week. not shure on the model but i think it is a 1979. the ownership/registration says it is a 16'4'' but when i measured it is actually 18', so ????? it has a 170hp '470 merc-cruiser'. the boat has all the guages needed but to my surprise it does not have a radio/stereo to enjoy while fishing or playing.....are they all like that or was it an option not gotten? any idea on a link to a user/owner manual for these set-ups as this is my first I/O and need all the info i can find to put my mind at ease. i'll post some pics when i have some and figure out how to do it (not a computer guy so it may take some help from my wife). i think i saw a glassmaster online somewhere that had a full swim platform over the outdrive and i would like to build one for mine as my daughter is part fish and spends more time in the water than on the water. if anyone has some detaild pics of a solid platform on there boat can you please send them to me for a reference. thanks and type to you all soon. mike

hey there mike again. i gave my boat a good wash and the hull id # says -year so it is a 1979, but the only model id i can find is right beside the throttle control and it says the loading limits and model 850E but is that all there is to the model and no name for it??? also got the serial numbers off the engine and it is model run from 1976-1979 so i am going to guess that it is original. i am in the process of replacing the seat boxes that hide the 18 gal. fuel tank on each side (duel fuel tanks is this the norm. for these I/O?) i have only ever had out boards before and 1 or 2 5 gal. tanks. how much fuel is this thing going to burn an hour around 3/4 throttle anybody know? type to ya latter. mike

JohnR.

Cadet

It sounds like you have a boat which is very similar to mine. If I remember right mine doesn't give a specific name on that same tag either, it just says 850E. I looked through a bunch of the models for 1979 and 1980 on this site but I didn't find an exact match. However, the only model that used "850" in its designation was the "Supreme BR" so I'm going to guess that the "BR" stands for bow rider and that the boat is a Supreme. I never measured my boat but it has been in my family for 25 years and it is supposedly 18.5 feet long which also makes it sound like its a Supreme. I agree that a swim platform on the back would be very nice, my 6 year old daughter is like a fish too. I just got done rebuilding seat bases for the first time and the rest of the seat panels for the second time. This time I made sure to get pressure treated plywood and use stainless or galvanized fasteners throughout so hopefully I won't be doing it again for quite some time. Mine has the original 200hp, 305 cubic inch, V-8 Chevy in it, I'm hoping to build a 350 for it in the next year or two to give it a little more oomph. Its not the best on gas but its not terrible if I keep it under 3000rpm, its gotten worse since I put a Weiand aluminum intake and an Edelbrock 4 barrell on but as long as I keep it on the primaries its OK. I also have the twin 18 gallon tanks under the seats, the mounting tabs had been cracked for years and one even broke off, luckily I have a friend that TIG welds and he did them over better than new. Mine has a sun-deck in the back instead of seats next to the engine, I've never seen another one around with the sun deck. There are still quite a few of them running around on Greenwood Lake where I live. I can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head that I see regularly. I've got mine out of the water this week in preparation for a trip to Lake Wallenpaupack this coming weekend with the family. Now that the weather has cooled down and the boat is out anyway I'm going over the exterior with a buffer and I'll post some pics of it when I get done (hopefully tomorrow if the weather cooperates). What I'd really like to find is a reproduction of the original decal for the side, mine were pretty hammered and I peeled all the decals off rather than have chewed up ones on there. I'm going to talk to a guy I know that does vinyl, he may be able to make them up but probably only in once color to keep costs down.

By the way, where are you located Mike?

John

Coolban

Recruit

Hi, new to the forum. I have a 1979 14' Glassmaster Runabout that I just purchased at the beginning of the year. I was riding home after work one day and seen this boat with a for sale sign on it for $650. Needed some work but didn't look bad so I decided to purchase. Came with the trailer, new fish finder and trolling motor that works great. I water proofed the deck and added new carpet to it. Cleaned it up and it was ready for the lakes. I can not start telling you how much fun my wife are having with this thing. It's so hard to believe that a 1979 boat runs so good with its original 35 Evenrude outboard motor. It has made me into a Glassmaster believer. As soon as I find out how to upload pictures hear I will post some. I will be looking for a used 70hp for it by the beginning of the new year. Although I like how little gas I use with the 35hp. Like to stick to Evenrude. I am currently living in AZ. Believe it or not there is a lot of good size lakes hear with beautiful mountain views. In fact its one of states that rank highest on boats per capitol. Because we have a lot of lakes you hardly ever have any lines launching. Arizona is beautiful but my love is in North Carolina where we will be moving by the summer of 2010. We will be looking around the Lake Norman area.

It sounds like you have a boat which is very similar to mine. If I remember right mine doesn't give a specific name on that same tag either, it just says 850E. I looked through a bunch of the models for 1979 and 1980 on this site but I didn't find an exact match. However, the only model that used "850" in its designation was the "Supreme BR" so I'm going to guess that the "BR" stands for bow rider and that the boat is a Supreme. I never measured my boat but it has been in my family for 25 years and it is supposedly 18.5 feet long which also makes it sound like its a Supreme. I agree that a swim platform on the back would be very nice, my 6 year old daughter is like a fish too. I just got done rebuilding seat bases for the first time and the rest of the seat panels for the second time. This time I made sure to get pressure treated plywood and use stainless or galvanized fasteners throughout so hopefully I won't be doing it again for quite some time. Mine has the original 200hp, 305 cubic inch, V-8 Chevy in it, I'm hoping to build a 350 for it in the next year or two to give it a little more oomph. Its not the best on gas but its not terrible if I keep it under 3000rpm, its gotten worse since I put a Weiand aluminum intake and an Edelbrock 4 barrell on but as long as I keep it on the primaries its OK. I also have the twin 18 gallon tanks under the seats, the mounting tabs had been cracked for years and one even broke off, luckily I have a friend that TIG welds and he did them over better than new. Mine has a sun-deck in the back instead of seats next to the engine, I've never seen another one around with the sun deck. There are still quite a few of them running around on Greenwood Lake where I live. I can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head that I see regularly. I've got mine out of the water this week in preparation for a trip to Lake Wallenpaupack this coming weekend with the family. Now that the weather has cooled down and the boat is out anyway I'm going over the exterior with a buffer and I'll post some pics of it when I get done (hopefully tomorrow if the weather cooperates). What I'd really like to find is a reproduction of the original decal for the side, mine were pretty hammered and I peeled all the decals off rather than have chewed up ones on there. I'm going to talk to a guy I know that does vinyl, he may be able to make them up but probably only in once color to keep costs down.

By the way, where are you located Mike?

John

THANKS FOR GETTING BACK TO ME, I WAS JUST ABOUT TO GIVE UP ON THIS SITE CAUSE IT DIDN'T SEEM LIKE ANYONE WAS USING IT ANYMORE BUT NOW I WON'T. MY DECALS ARE IN GOOD SHAPE BUT THE BLUE STRIP ON THE SIDE IS FADDING BAD AND I HOPE TO GET IT BUFFED BACK. I STILL MIGHT SELL THE BOAT IF THE RIGHT DEAL COMES ALONG BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IT TOO, SO IT WOULD HAVE TO BE A GOOD ONE FOR SURE. ANY DECAL SHOP SHOULD BE ABLE TO REDO YOUR DECALS AND IT USUALLY ISN'T TOO EXPENSIVE. YOU COULD ALSO CHECK WITH 'GLASSMASTER' THEY ARE APPARENTLY BACK IN BUISNESS AND MIGHT HAVE ONE SUITABLE IN STOCK.DO YOU FIND YOUR BOAT UNDER POWERED WITH THE 200HP? I HAVN'T GOT MINE WATERWORTHY YET SO I HAVN'T TRIED 'ER OUT YET BUT HOPEFULLY SOON BUT IF THE 170HP ISN'T STRONG ENOUGH I'LL BE SELLING IT FOR SURE RATHER THAN SWAP OUT MOTORS

I AM WAY UP NORTH IN CALLANDER ONTARIO,(JUST SOUTH OF NORTH BAY), UP HER IN CANADA (IT IS ABOUT 3-4 HOURS NORTH OF TORONTO IF THAT HELPS). THEY BOAT HAD THE ORIGINAL REGISTRATION NUMBERS PULLED OF THE BOW BUT THEY STARTED WITH 'NJ' SO I AM GUESSING SOMEONE BROUGHT IT UP HERE AND WAS NOT SOLD HERE ORIGINALLY...KINDA NEAT WHEN THAT HAPPENS.

drykard

Recruit

Here you go: 1964 hull, 1994 Evinrude 88 SPL outboard. I just finished the third major overhaul this hull has seen. It was laid up for 10 years before this overhaul. She runs just as well as I remembered. I think I love this boat more than I did my first girlfriend. I've certainly have had more fun with the boat. :p

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1

JohnR.

Cadet

Very nice boat drykard.

Mike,

I am pretty happy with the 200hp V-8 in mine. From what I've been told over the years, these are very heavy hulls for their size so I think it does OK for what it is. If I propped it a little differently it'd probably be better out of the hole but the 19 stainless I have is a good compromise for those times I want to "get after it" a little. It runs around 50 mph with just me in it.

John

I Got Mine Running In The Driveway The Other Night So I Went To The Launch To Try It Out But It Was Too Cold And Windy To Attempt Launching On My Own So Hopefully I Can Find A Nice Day To Do So Soon. Do You Know How I Can Find Out What Pitch My Prop Would Be, I Don't Think There Is Any Marking Stamped In It But I Will Look Again Tonight. All I Do Know Is That It Is 14'' Dia.
So Yours Is Kinda Lazy Out Of The Hole? Can You Pull Skiers/tubers Alright? 50mph Sounds Great For A Top Speed I Can Only Hope To Come Close To That, But I Don't Usually Run Wot Anyway, Unless The Rain Is Coming In Fast. I Will Let You Know What She'll Do When I Get Her Wet (if The Speedo Works) And I Looked Again And The Old Registration Numbers Started With 'NY' Not 'NJ'

JohnR.

Cadet

There will be numbers stamped somewhere on the prop. Sometimes they're on the hub, sometimes on the part that the blades all stick out of.

It pulls a skier (or two) just fine. Even with 3 adults and 2 kids in the boat it pulls my Dad right up on 2 skis and he's around 200lbs. 90% of the time I'm just cruising (25-30mph) but its nice to have the umph when you want it. Keep us posted on how yours runs. My buddy is big time into speed boats and has a fuel injected 496 he keeps half jokingly trying to get me to let him put it in my boat. :eek: Hopefully finances will allow a nice 350 or maybe a 383 stroker for next year or the year after.

John

Found The Stamping, It Is 18p So Depending On The Gearing It Should Be Close To What Yours Is. Do You Have A Planing Fin On Your Outdrive? It Should Really Help Out Of The Hole, Or At Least They Have Alot On My Previous Outboards. Hey Can You Put The Boat Plug In From The Inside Of The Boat? I Don't Think I Have The Room To Reach Down There. It Is Supposed To Be 14*c On Saturday So Might See If I Can Sneak In A Ride...fingers Crossed, Mike

JohnR.

Cadet

We had put a fin on years and years ago. I didn't like the way it cut down the top speed or the way the boat turned with it so we removed it within a couple of hours of putting it on. Fortunately that drive is long gone so I don't have a lower unit with holes drilled in it anymore. As for the plug, there is no way I could get my hand down there to put the plug in. I put it in from the outside and once its tight by hand I give it a little more with a pair of pliers. Good luck with your ride on Saturday. We have been planning to do a little cruise on the lake here to enjoy some of the foliage with the family and then take the boat over to a local German restaurant for their Oktoberfest dinner but it looks like its gonna be raining here again this weekend.

John

so i got her wet today, started up not bad (i think i need a new starter...slow cranking), idled perfect, and man did it pop up on plane fast when i mashed the throttle ( i was very impresed for such a heavy boat), i did a few turns close to shore incase there were some problems i wouldn't be far from the launch. everything seemed to be good except it pulled to the right rather hard, so i pointed it out to open water to see what the speedo would say (and it does work)....43mph (or 70kph up here) cruised very nice at all speeds. the rain was picking up so i slowed down and turned back towards the launch, and at full right turn i hit the throttle too hard (a person could almost flip the boat if not carefull) and for some reason she stalled and would not fire back up, it would barley roll over littleown fire up. so out came the paddle after playing around with all the wires looking for a loose one (but no) and i had to paddle here back to the next launch down the bay and beach her while i walked across town to get the truck (soaked i might add), getting her back on the trailer at this very shallow launch was not enjoyable as i was wet to the waist lining it up good enough to off set the waves while i cranked it in. good thing it is a short drive back home where i could park the trailer and jump in the warm shower. the crazy thing is that i am not mad at all, i am actually still in a good mood for everything i went through this morning, because i know i just have to get her winterized now and take it to my buddie who is a mercury-magician in the spring to sort out the starter problems and anything else, like the charging system as i am not sure if it was charging the battery when it was running and that is why it wouldn't start up again. what all do you have to do to these i/o's for winterizing? i have only ever done outboards before, i might just take it down to my buddy and have him do it while i watch and assist for future reference.

still shivering, mike

mike again, well it is done, the boating season that is. the 470 is all winterized and the glassmaster is tarped for the winter. i had the starter pulled as we checked it out and she won't roll over good enough to start a lawn mower little own a 4 cyl. so it is going off to be rebuilt and i will put it back on in the spring. i am also told by a few people that these 470's are not a good set-up at all as they are plagued with problems so i am in debate weather to sell off the out-drive as it is in perfect shape, pull the motor and fuel tanks and anything else that is worth salvaging and scrap the boat compleatly and get enough money out of the outdrive and trailer to finance my next boat, or maybe i'll find a boat in good shape with a blown outdrive that mine will fit on cheap enough to justify, but i think i am going to go back to outboards. only time will tell. see ya later, mike.