93 245 Vista Randomly shuts off

ohhmyyygod

Recruit
Hello...

I have a 1993 Four Winns 245 Vista w/454 295hp engine.

I'll explain what's going on. It seems that the boat randomly just cuts out. It starts right back up again no problem. This happens out in rough water as well as putting around the marina.

Last year I had the gas tank totally cleaned out, the lines too and a new fuel pump installed.

I was thinking it was the carb but another person told me it is an electrical thing. Some wire is shorting out in the rough water and the boat is designed to cut off like that. If it was the carb, it would probably struggle to start back up again, which it doesn't.

I did notice last weekend when I was looking for a messed up wire that this brass plate thing that goes over the air cleaner was off. It's attached to a rubber hose that is attached to where the oil goes in. I re-attached that and am not sure if that is anyway related.

We need to get this fixed ASAP.

Anybody have any idea what the problem may be?

Can anybody tell me what that brass thing is that goes over the air cleaner and if that may be related to anything?

Thank you,

Daniel

viciousvolvo

Recruit
Re: 93 245 Vista Randomly shuts off

You might check the kill switch located on the throttle at the helm. I had a similar problem with mine, and it turned out to be a corroded wire connector attached to the back of the kill switch that was cutting out intermittently. It drove me crazy for weeks, before I gave up and had Lake Norman Marina figure it out for me.