Another Project...

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer
This is my first post. I have been trolling for a while, but decided to jump in now. I recently purchased a new project boat. This is not my first boat, not my first Four Winns, and not my first project boat. This is, however, the first project boat that I will be paying someone else to do the work. I usually do all the wrenching on pretty much everything. From lawn mowers to classic car restoration, I have done it all, and done it myself (with my grandad, a few friends, and my loving wife of course :) ). But as I am now working in Iraq, this project will be only supervised by me. Now, about the project

I found a forlorn 1998 Four Winns 220 Horizon on Craigslist, and thought it was a scam at first. It read "1989 22' Four Winns...(etc, etc)...$300". When I opened up the ad, it was definitely NOT an '89 model, but there was no email address, only a phone number, so I thought "why not call?". It actually was a typo. It was a '98 model, but the price was actually $300!! Expecting there to be nothing but a hull in poor shape for that price, I called, and was urprised to find out it was a complete boat, (sans trailer), with a 5.7 GSi Volvo/Penta and SX Cobra outdrive. The out drive had been removed and disassembled, but was there and still had a nice Michigan Wheel stainless prop with it. This boat had been sitting for 5 years, after the original owner's son had it out, and 'heard a noise' from the rear of the boat, and parked it. They simply bought another boat, and forgot this one. (Must be nice!!) The guy I got it from even delivered the boat 60 miles to my house, and set it up on blocks for me for that price!! I found a person who deals in trailers (bill@boattrailerbill.com) who got me a killer deal on a tandem axle EZ Loader galvanized trailer to handle this boat. I now have a total of $1800 in this boat an trailer combo. When I go home on leave in November, I will deliver this boat to the resto shop, and stand by as someone else does the work, and drains my budget. I started out with a budget of around $7500 to complete this boat, which has to include a possible repower and interior refurb as well. I will update as projects are completed, and pics are taken for me. I am open to criticism, and I know how some on here bash others for buying project boats, so feel free to bash away. I do not care. I can bash right back. For those that feel the way I do, and love the challenge of projects, as well as knowing the project inside out, I welcome your opinions and insight. For those that have particular knowledge of this year / model of Four Winns, I especially welcome your advice. I will include a couple of pics as reference, and As I said, I welcome opinions.
Thanks, and God Bless!!

Attachments

• 3k23p43o35O25Z25S4a8s2ca8a377f6e01913.jpg
    3k23p43o35O25Z25S4a8s2ca8a377f6e01913.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 3k33m33o45O25Y55T5a8s923313aa799d1dff.jpg
    3k33m33o45O25Y55T5a8s923313aa799d1dff.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 3m03oe3lc5O65Q55W4a8se57e3565c9841ddb.jpg
    3m03oe3lc5O65Q55W4a8se57e3565c9841ddb.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 3n63me3p35O15Y25Z3a8sf15365428e4219a0.jpg
    3n63me3p35O15Y25Z3a8sf15365428e4219a0.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
Re: Another Project...

I woulda done it.. My wife woulda killed me but I woulda done it too.. The guys in the restoration section will likely be able to help ya better than anyone who haunts this section.. Way to go on your score and watch your top knot while playing in that damn sand box... Shame they tore the outdrive to pieces.. Damn shade tree retards.. I saw a complete unit on ebay the other day.. The original problem likely wasn't in the outdrive and just bad ujoints or gimble..Shame

infideltarget

Thanks for the kind words. I actually thought about placing my post in the restoration section, but I thought any model specific info might be in here. Most of the others in the resto sections have bigger boats, or stuff like whalers or whatnot.

Lindeman23

Seaman

Wow, what a great deal, and from the looks of it, it doesn't seem like there is all that much work to be on the water. GL w/ everything.

infideltarget

This project died a horrible lingering death. I took the boat to my marine mechanic to get an outdrive rebuild, and was informed that he had been unsuccessful in finding a rebuild kit for an SX drive for less than $4000, or a rebuilt SX drive for less than $7000 (!!!). I had just gotten a quote for refurbing the interior, which was far worse than I originally thought, of $2800. After giving it much thought, I abandoned the project, took what few parts I thought might work on another boat, and listed it on Craigslist. It went quickly, thank God. I lost my ***** on it, but the heartbreak of losing was worse. The silver lining to this story came a few weeks later, when I accidentally typed in a wrong location for my habitual CL haunting. I came across a 1990 Four Winns 200 Horizon on a nice tandem Four Winns trailer for $1500. Long story short, I bought it, and the pics that my wife sent show a boat that is a virtual time capsule! It has less than 150 hours on it, and is in wonderful condition...except for the engine...which got a bad case of water ingestion during the floods in Nashville last year. I will document this boat in more detail in another thread.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Too bad about the 220. Next time you're looking for a drive rebuild, try All American Drive Service (google it). They did a great job on my Cobra, and offer a rebuilt SX for $4000 (not just the kit, it's a full rebuild including parts).
Good luck with the 200!

rickryder

Commander

Nice find! Good luck with it and start a resto thread :) Also THANK YOU for your service to our country! Without guys like you none of us would have the freedom to be out boating and having fun :D

infideltarget

While cleaning out the garage the other day, Lovely Wife found the 14 1/2 x 21 three-blade stainless Michigan Wheel prop, and green factory snap-on cockpit cover from the '98 220H. I have no use for them and would let them go at a reasonable price. PM me if interested.