my first boat....1977 formula thunderbird 255

dirtymike

Seaman Apprentice
I have just purchased my first boat, a 77 formula tbird 255. I am not new to boating though, as my family has always had a boat since before I was born. I have only gone one summer without a boat, and that was back in 1997 when we moved and sold our old boat and spent a summer looking for a newer one.

I am a recent college grad that lives in wilmington, nc just 4 miles from the water. I bought this because I don't like being scared taking my dads 20 ft bow rider in the ocean and dealing with waves coming over the front every now and then. The biggest drawbacks to this particular boat are that it sits on the original trailer (which needs to be replaced soon) and it only has a single omc 235 hp i/o. The motor runs great, and most of the work I will be doing is cosmetic, with the exception of fixing the trim. My mom is helping me with the recovering of the cabin cushions, headliner, and the rear seat.
The boat was originally yellow, but was repainted to blue and white sometime in the past and looks pretty decent. I've only had it in the water once for only about 20 minutes, but I can't wait to get it finished and hit the water for a full day.

I picked up the boat and trailer for $800, which I feel is a pretty good deal for this much boat, and considering the fact that i don't have a job and my money is spread over this boat, my 72 buick skylark, gas for it and diesel for my truck as well as my 2 motorcycles.

I've only had it for 2 weeks now but I'm already in love with it. The only thing that scares me is the omc stringer drive. All my previous experience is mercruiser, which has always been reliable and easily serviceable.

I hope you enjoy the pics, and if anybody out there has any info on this boat or has pictures of another one I would love to see it. I hope you like my pictures, and I will update them as the interior work progresses. I also plan on stripping the old bottom paint off and buffing and polishing the bottom. It won't be stored in the water so i see no need for the bottom paint, especially with only 1 motor.

brianscamera026.jpg

brianscamera025.jpg

(parked next to my dads 20' renken bow rider)

brianscamera024.jpg