Thunderbird/Formula

EHouseHead

Seaman
Okay so I have a certain attraction for these Thunderbird/Formulas. I am looking at a 1984 21'6" Formula Three LS with a 250hp 305 Vortec Mercruiser I/O on it. I'm still waiting on more info, apparently the engine is new or rebuilt with low hours. It weights about 3500 lbs, cruising speed about 40mph, top speed apparently around 55mph. Does anyone have a guess on what kind of gas mileage this baby would get? I'm mainly going to be using it to cruise about 5-10 miles each way down the river, total distance of 15-20 miles per day. Here is what it includes: compass, VHF radio, CD player/stereo, NEW trim tabs, NEW hydraulic trim lines, outdrive was recently updated, NEW plugs/wires and has a Mallory marine distributor. Also has bimini top & materials to enclose the deck in completely.
If the engine is indeed new or rebuilt recently, and the boat is in nice shape, would she be worth $4k-$5k?

Thanks All!,
DJ

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Thunderbird/Formula

A 1984 would have to be in pefect condition with maintenance papers to demand that kind of money.

Mileage is really not a boating thing but 15-20 miles per day is not bad..... depending on how hard you are on the throttle. If you find the sweet spot you should be able to boat all day w/o worry......hammer it and have your wallet ready to re-fuel during the day.

Really great boats........ I would enlist the help of fellow boaters to give it the once (or twice) over and include a water test. ;)

houseofcharm

Recruit

Hiya, did you ever move on the 3-LS? I'm looking at the almost exact boat/deal but an '85.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hiya, did you ever move on the 3-LS? I'm looking at the almost exact boat/deal but an '85.

Welcome to iboats. I doubt a poster who has not been back in over a year will answer you :(

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

There aren't many active Formula owners on here. Do a Google search by username and alot of times you'll find out where they are.

houseofcharm

Recruit

Yeah, so used to boatered where there TOO much activity, these empty forums are a bummer(but easier to use without the throngs of posters).