FORMULA (Thunderbird)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gene8084

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: FORMULA (Thunderbird)

Hi all, I am looking at a 1981 18ft Formula/Thunderbird. It has a Force 120 hp motor that was rebuilt in 2007, supposedly has less than 50hrs on it. I have several questions I am hoping some can answer for me.

1. Were these boats original sold with inboard/outboards?
2. Is Force a decent outboard motor?
3. I haven't seen the boat yet, in 1981 did they make both a cabin cruiser and a bowrider or just one or the other? I will include the pics I have and maybe someone can tell me what this one is.
4. Are there any known problems with these boats that I should look out for?
5. Approx how much does this boat weight? How fast would it go approx with this motor?
6. It apparently needs a floor, could I make one out of ply wood and coat it with a spray on bedliner? That should water proof it and provide grip.
7. Anything else I should know, is this boat worth $1700 if it is running good?

Checkout the formula site as Jstep suggested. Good stuff.

I love my Formula 180...

1. both i/o and outboard
2. can't help you here
3. the 18 is not a cuddy. they did make an open bow, but not this boat
4. mine is solid, it's an 1974 I/0 with a Mercruiser 888 (188 HP) - you've got rot, so that't a problem, but my hull is solid as the day it was built.
5. the 1974 Formula 180 is 2,150 lbs (plus gas, engine, and gear)
6. can't help here, but there are other forums on iboats that can
7. very hard to say, with a good motor (maybe) the question is how much rot, how much work, how much to get it on the water.​

EHouseHead

Seaman

Okay so I have a certain attraction for these Thunderbird/Formulas. I am looking at a 1984 21'6" Formula Three LS with a 250hp 305 Vortec Mercruiser I/O on it. I'm still waiting on more info, apparently the engine is new or rebuilt with low hours. It weights about 3500 lbs, cruising speed about 40mph, top speed apparently around 55mph. Does anyone have a guess on what kind of gas mileage this baby would get? I'm mainly going to be using it to cruise about 5-10 miles each way down the river, total distance of 15-20 miles per day. Here is what it includes: compass, VHF radio, CD player/stereo, NEW trim tabs, NEW hydraulic trim lines, outdrive was recently updated, NEW plugs/wires and has a Mallory marine distributor. Also has bimini top & materials to enclose the deck in completely.
If the engine is indeed new or rebuilt recently, and the boat is in nice shape, would she be worth $4k-$5k?

Thanks All!,
DJ
EDIT

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You gentlemen have hijacked an old thread. Please start your own thread and abide by the rules.....this one is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.