FORMULA (Thunderbird)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: FORMULA (Thunderbird)

I dont have a Formula but I would not hesitate for a moment to buy one if the right deal came along....So I say yes to a forum..

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a vintage TBird...one that was made in their Paso Robles California factory way back then...<br /><br />Chuck

Hi,
I like your thinking. I am new to this forum, but I collect vintage formula outboards, and I am always interested to talk anything formlua. Do you have one or quite a few, I personally am looking to add number 9 to my collection. I like the deep V hulls, and I am always interested in buying any V-hull formula especially outboards.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have a 1986 Formula 25 Pc with a new egine and drive. Amazing boat smooth ride and nice handleing for a its size and weight

gene8084

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a 1974 Formula 180 recently. Still a bit of work to do after a failed first day on the water.

johndezman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hope you all have better luck with yours. i purchased one that seems to have everything going wrong and i haven't put 20 hrs on it in two years of ownership!

latest is an apparent leak in one of the two fuel tanks (31pc)

getting all to familiar with pulling the engines!

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been doing some searching on hear about Thunderbirds and don't find much. I just bought a 1978 Thunderbird and am interested in learning more about them so, I too would be interested in a Formula Forum.

It's a little quiet in this thread.

78lib

Cadet

We Have A 78 255 Liberator[wave Crusher] Wish Wehad A Site!!!;)

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice

POST SOME PICS everybody!! Especially of that 255 Liberator and all of those SWEET vintage, pre-70s Formula 233s! :D

Audemars

Recruit
Re: 1978 FORMULA 255 - fully restored

I have a 100% restored 1978 Formula 255 with a completely rebuilt Ford 351 and a 4 Barrel Holley. My father bought the boat new and I purchased it from him four years ago. A vintage Formula forum would be great!!

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 100% restored 1978 Formula 255 with a completely rebuilt Ford 351 and a 4 Barrel Holley. My father bought the boat new and I purchased it from him four years ago. A vintage Formula forum would be great!!

Audemars, your story sound familiar. Is this your boat here? http://www.formulaboats.com/vintage_formula/MonnichmeyersFormula255--ADreamBoat.aspx

Post some pics!!!:D

I'm guessing you're into watches, too, by your screen name. ;)

--John

Audemars

Recruit

you're good..... yes on both counts!

don't know why I can download them...... send me your email and I will send you pictures of the boat from this past weekend...........

78lib

Cadet

We Are Starting A Vintage Formula Club Here In Indiana.:d

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice

Where in Indiana? What are the details? I don't have a Formula yet, but I'm keeping my eyes out for a nice pre-'70 233 with the teak trim inside the gunwhales to restore.

Audemars

Recruit

Although I like the late 70's 233 a lot more than the early 70's 233, there are plenty of early 70's 233's for sale in Florida..... as a matter of fact there is a clean 1973 233 for sale at the marina where I keep my boat. It has a 8.1 liter..... it's fast, and the usual bullet proof hull.

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice

Although I like the late 70's 233 a lot more than the early 70's 233, there are plenty of early 70's 233's for sale in Florida..... as a matter of fact there is a clean 1973 233 for sale at the marina where I keep my boat. It has a 8.1 liter..... it's fast, and the usual bullet proof hull.

Yeah, the problem I'm running into is that all of the good candidates I'm seeing are nowhere near Chicago. The 8.1L sounds sweet, but probably too rich for my blood. I'm looking for something inexpensive that I can restore myself. I have more time than money at the moment. I'm also looking for a 1970 or earlier, because I like the lines of the sides better, and I want the teak running from fore to aft on the inside of the gunwhales.

If you see any like that, let me know! :D

Audemars

Recruit

Ok will let you know.....I think a 350 or 351 is the right engine for that boat (I prefer Ford) with a 19" SS pitch prop (it's a heavy boat).
Once you find one, the most important thing is preserverance and full attention to detail (95% perfect was never good enough for me)......
Except for the engine rebuild and the new upholstery, I restored everything myself...... the teak, wiring, electronics etc etc...... everything had to be period/style correct and I did not install anything that did not have classic minimalistic lines (but did have the latest technology built in).......
But I will admit: There were a few times where I was ready to sink the boat!

EHouseHead

Seaman

Hi all, I am looking at a 1981 18ft Formula/Thunderbird. It has a Force 120 hp motor that was rebuilt in 2007, supposedly has less than 50hrs on it. I have several questions I am hoping some can answer for me.

1. Were these boats original sold with inboard/outboards?
2. Is Force a decent outboard motor?
3. I haven't seen the boat yet, in 1981 did they make both a cabin cruiser and a bowrider or just one or the other? I will include the pics I have and maybe someone can tell me what this one is.
4. Are there any known problems with these boats that I should look out for?
5. Approx how much does this boat weight? How fast would it go approx with this motor?
6. It apparently needs a floor, could I make one out of ply wood and coat it with a spray on bedliner? That should water proof it and provide grip.
7. Anything else I should know, is this boat worth $1700 if it is running good?

Thanks All! If anyone wants to tell me something via e-mail you can reach me at EDIT

THANKS!
boat2.jpg

boat1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice

EHouse,
I don't know much about the 18' Formulas offhand, but the Formula website has a section where you can download old brochures. These should be VERY helpful in answering most of the questions that you have. I know Formula had cabin cruisers in 1981, but not in the 18' range.

As far as your questions about the outboard, you'd probably be better off posting about that in the Force & Chrysler Outboard forum on the message board. And for information about replacing the floor, search in the Boat Restoration and Building forum. Chances are that if the floor is rotted and needs to be replaced, you'll have to replace the stringers as well.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.