1983 Ebbtide Dyna Trak 176 SS Repair

CaptnTony

Cadet
I recently picked up this boat when an older gentleman hurt his back at work and could no longer work on it. He told me that the floor was soft and he was replacing it. What I didn't realize at the time was that this is a 'two part' molded boat. This gentleman didn't start the project the correct way (taking the top off and replacing all the wood at once). Instead, he tore out all the floor carpeting and cut through the fiberglass and wood and removed it. What I'm left with now is a hole. A hole the size of almost the complete deck, at least that part that is behind the windshield. :]

So, *sigh* I'm faced with two options here. Take the top off somehow. I've talked to a couple of my friends and one heard of a buddy doing this restore in his garage with a couple of hoists draped over some rafters to get the top off the boat. From what he told me, there are screws of some sort behind the rubber going around the entire boat. Take these out, pop the top, do the floor and put it back into place.

I was born in the dark, but it wasn't last night. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems to be. What might I run into doing this 'full' restore (I prefer to do this if I can and it can be accomplished by an amateur with minimal cost and help).

1) Just how heavy might I expect this top piece to be?
2) Is is safe to lift with hand hoists (used to lift deer for cutting up)?
3) Is it really that easy to disconnect the top from the bottom? (just 'some' screws)?
4) What are the odds that I can replace the top that easily? (screws going back in place and holding things together again with same holes)
5) How might I start removing that rubber piece?

If it's not something for a guy like me (very limited tool selection, little knowledge of boats, just a good sense of humor and a willingness to learn), I've got a plan to just replace what was tore up and then fiberglass over the new stuff (some sort of protection so the fiberglass isn't being applied to the floor, just in case I have to rip it open in the future, or someone does).

The transom seems to be very solid (put a screwdriver in holes and tried to get wood out and couldn't very easily), but the previous owner DID cut into the supports for the floor. Right through the fiberglass. Some of that wood isn't super great but it's overall solid. I'd be happy with it in there if I put some fiberglass over it to protect it from water.

I'd really like to do it right if the chances are that I can get it accomplished and put back together again. I'm very good at getting things apart and then not being able to either get things back together or it now working quite as expected. AND I hate 'jerry riggin' things. I just don't know enough about it all to make solid judgments.

Thanks for any advice or 'gotchas' that you may be able / willing to offer. It's all appreciated.