smart tabs for a fish n ski

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if anyone has tried these for this type of boat. The reason i ask is i get some hopping or porpoising when cornering with it trimmed in. The other problem i have is a swim ladder on the back, and wondering how they fit when the ladder is down to get back in the boat.thanks for any replies, red

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: smart tabs for a fish n ski

If you can send pictures of the back of your boat, side view and rear, wecan give you some assistance on mounting options.<br /><br />With regard to the handling issues, it sounds as though you are running with the trim down in order to keep the boat from porpoising, then while going into a turn the boat is bow down. Are you running a hydrofoil?<br /><br />Smart Tabs will eliminate the handling issues in any condition.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

What boat do you have? Some fs are bass boat hulls with walk thru windshields and some are runabouts with a pedestal and trolling motor. Runabout hulls can usually utilize smart tabs. Bass boat hulls may require Monster Tabs because of pad/transom configuration. If u go to Nauticus smart tab web page and email your question I'm sure they will give u the info u need.

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is a 1983 ebbtide dynatrak and it is a walk through windshield with a 4" stepped transom. It is more of a bass boat style. No hydro foil, i tried it and i didn't lose top end but in a corner it didn't help, made it worse. I mounted a trolling motor on the bow and put batteries up front and that helped somewhat. I can't send pictures but the ladder is 7" away from the transom, it's just when it's down that the smart tab would go between the rung on the ladder and i wouldn't want anybody getting hurt getting back in the boat. thanks

LubeDude

Admiral

The boat in my avitar is simolar to yours. I have the smart tabs on mine and it is awesome and would and recomend them to all Bass Boaters.<br /><br />However, we need to figure why you are having the problems you have as it doesnt seem right that you would porpose with the trim all the way down. Are you sure it "IS" all the way down?<br /><br />Let us know your set up as to what engine you have, what prop you are running etc.<br /><br />There is no way I would want Batteries up front in my boat.

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lube, I talked to you awhile ago about this boat and speed. I don't have a jackplate, runnin a 24 raker at ~5400 rpm and ~54 mph. The motor is a johnson gt 150 mounted 2nd hole from top, so its 1 higher than the lowest, i can use about half trim range. It's amazing how the batteries help being in front, i know its not a good idea, but there not always on board. The trim is all the way down on take off and cornering. Lube, that raker can really get that bow up high for a f/s. thanks for time

brgvnav

Recruit

I installed SmartTabs on my 1999 DynaTrak 160ss with a 90hp Merc at the end of this season to keep the bow down during acceleration. The difference is amazing! They have to be mounted on a flat surface, and with the configuration at my stern, I had to mount them pretty far inboard, but they work very well. I can recommend them to anyone.