Any fellow Duranautic owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

67fastback

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Well I picked up my first 13 Duranautic 1990. It has a 1969 mercury 20hp outboard on it. little over powered but man it really flys. It has had some mods down to it, has a transom mount added so it can handle the long shaft, middle seat has been cut out and made a storage box under the seat, and he add a wood flat floor with carpet, running lights. The boat is very clean also.. fish finder and trolling motor up front with hi rise swivel seats. really can not wait to get it out this spring and fly around the lakes...

Attachments

• photo212861.jpg
    photo212861.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo212862.jpg
    photo212862.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo212863.jpg
    photo212863.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo212864.jpg
    photo212864.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo212865.jpg
    photo212865.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 3

old Dura guy

Recruit
I bought a 1977 Duranautic Ranger 16 in 1977 when I retired from the USAF. Loved it, used to go offshore to catch Mac's then liveline them for Stripers in the Rivers of NH. Moved to FL many years ago and recently bought a 2009 B14 with a 9.9 Yammy, What a big boat. Wood transom was rotted but factory sold me the new Aluminum Transom board, so I unbolted tho old and bolted in the new. (Was not that easy when your 80), But the big news is that I pondered how to put some swivel seats on the flat bench seats and thought of about a hundred ways I didn't like. Finally found the CUDA SEAT CLAMP, at Cabelas, the darned thing is made for a 3/4 inch seat lip and is solid as a rock on the Duranautic seats.However, they do go for about $40. They allow you to change seating position whenever you want because they are held on with a spring. They are great.

bergiNC

Recruit
I just picked up a DuraNautic offshore 14 from my neighbor. It's in good condition, but can't wait to restore the paint, seating, add some decking, perhaps a steering console, and finally a motor. I'd love any tips! Thanks!

basser01

Cadet
I have a 2013 Duranautic 14RDS that I bought new. I have also spent a lot of time in the older Duranautics. These are one of the most common rental boats around Central NY. I can say that the new Duranautics made by the Marathon Boat Group (in Marathon NY) are almost identical to, and equal in quality to, their older, pre-marathon, brothers. I don’t see any diference in the construction, weld quality, materials, etc. the Marathon boat group is a small company that formed from Grumman boats employees that bought out the company themselves. They know how to build quality aluminum boats and of course Grumman canoes. I believe the Duranautic boats are on par with any of the high end, well know aluminum boats like Lund. Before purchasing my duranautic i extensively compared the utility V boat market and the Duranautic is clearly the best value. The 14RDS I have has very good performance attributes. I live on the south shore of Oneida Lake and it handles the notoriously changable rough conditions very well. Been out in legitimately bad conditions while walleye fishing and it handles it well. While under way, it planes quickly (i usially have two to three in the boat powered by a 15hp four stroke merc) and tops out around 18-22mph depending on the load. It turns well and mostly flat - ie it doesn’t tilt hard and keeps the lower unit in the water so no cavitation.

Having said all this, there are a few things I’m not in love with. First, the hull design has not changed in 50 years. This is really only a problem in that it is a bit narrower in beam than is common today. This can make the boat deflect a bit when stepping into or out of the boat. Second, (and this is really about marketing and not about the boat itself) i wish that Marathon boat group had a better website and product information. They have a boat catalog that looks like it hasn’t been updated since 1987. You can’t find pictures of the variations of the boats. They don’t have an active facebook page. The dealer network doesn’t have any kind of collateral to give out when you buy the boats. The options like floors, consoles, etc are good but not really shown well. Third, I wish we had some color options. I really like Lund’s fall marsh color and with I could get that finish with my Duranautic.

I think the Duranautics are a fantastic boat and with a little bit if brand management could be much more widespread and successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.