What models of cuddy cabins did Dorsett produce in 1966? Major problems?

lfsgift

Recruit
Hi;

I am looking at a 1966 Dorsett and the owner is not certain if it is a San Juan or a San Pablo. I can't seem to find information on the 1966 models of the cuddy cabin style. What major problems should I be looking out for (expense wise). Thanks!

outboardr

Cadet
Re: What models of cuddy cabins did Dorsett produce in 1966? Major problems?

Is it an outboard or a sterndrive?
Look for wet wood in the transom, cockpit deck and cabin deck solid. Basically you're looking for any damaged structural wood.
Also, the 1966 models had a cored hull so look for water intrusion there.
Are the cabin windows good? They are plexiglass. The windshield should be real glass.
The San Juan for that year is 18'2" long
I have a 1966 San Juan.

lfsgift

Recruit

Thanks! I was reading something about transom issues with this model and also omc motors being both expensive as well as trouble mechanically with this model. I am happy to work on a project (actually would enjoy it) as long as I would not be purchasing a sinker/floater. I have currently an omc mercruiser 120/140 on my cuddy cabin and it works awesome. I just don't want to be making poor decisions that are going to be super expensive to resolve.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Hi lfsgift,My dorsett is from 1967. The model is catalina.I completly rebuilt (and changed) her.Had to rip out:the transom, sole,(deck) and stringers,due to rot.I replaced everything out of nidacore.exept the transom of course.Remeber these are very old boats,Coming across one without rot is close to a miracle..It could cost you a LOT of money to get it in shape,But once you do she will be a real eyecatcher and a good boat,I built a pilothouse on mine out of nidacore (I cant figure out how to post pics yet) Put some outriggers on her and a lot more fishing toys,I live in the caribbean and take her far out to sea...Tip check out fiberclassic.com,they have a lot of dorsttes models on their site! Hope this helps. Island mike

lfsgift

Recruit

Hi lfsgift,My dorsett is from 1967. The model is catalina.I completly rebuilt (and changed) her.Had to rip out:the transom, sole,(deck) and stringers,due to rot.I replaced everything out of nidacore.exept the transom of course.Remeber these are very old boats,Coming across one without rot is close to a miracle..It could cost you a LOT of money to get it in shape,But once you do she will be a real eyecatcher and a good boat,I built a pilothouse on mine out of nidacore (I cant figure out how to post pics yet) Put some outriggers on her and a lot more fishing toys,I live in the caribbean and take her far out to sea...Tip check out fiberclassic.com,they have a lot of dorsttes models on their site! Hope this helps. Island mike

thanks Mike, would love to see some pictures when you have them. my direct email is lfsgift@yahoo.com

Cindy

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Hi,cindy.I will try to send you some pics of how she was a cuople of years ago..and how She is now..The thing is the pics are all over the p.c,I need the wife to help,so give me some time.
I will try right now to send a few recent ones if I can...
Bye greetings from the caribbean.Mike

outboardr

Cadet

Cindy, here are pics of my 1966 San Juan. Dorsett made the San Juan 19, actual length 18'2" the Catalina
17, actual length 16'6"
You can go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicdorsettboats/ and see some brochure pics.

What state are you in? I'm in WA state.R1-06626-023A (Medium).jpgbest (Medium).jpg

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Nope,My dosett is 18 ft.Its a catalina...

outboardr

Cadet

Nope,My dosett is 18 ft.Its a catalina...

I should have said for 1966 those are the lengths out of the brochure, I have several brochures.

The Catalina was first sold as a 17 the first series of them was 16'8 long.
The dyna plane hull Catalina, the second series, was 16'6" long, and is listed as a 16 in the 64 catalog and a 17 in the 67 catalog.

The San Juan was sold as a 19, first series was 18'10" long, 18'2" for the second series.
Sometimes you see them listed as an 18 too.

Sometimes it's hard to tell from pics whether a boat is a Catalina or a San Juan, easiest way I've found to tell the difference is measure the transom beam.

Attachments

• dorsettb59006.jpg
    dorsettb59006.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 3
  • dorsettb59005.jpg
    dorsettb59005.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 3
  • dorsettB64002.jpg
    dorsettB64002.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3
  • SCAN0137 (Large).jpg
    SCAN0137 (Large).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Hey,cindy
Did my pics come through?????
Regards mike.