Rocker Switches for Doral 300SE

Still CAVOK

Recruit
First post... recently purchased a 2000 300SE. Boat has been well maintained and looks much newer than its 15 year old body. The rocker switches on the dash panel have faded due to exposure. Can someone suggest a source to replace these with similiar parts or possibly another company which would fit the Doral panel. Thanks for any advice.

TeamPCBeach

Seaman
As GA said, best bet is to pop one out (it is very easy) and see if you can find a match. I was looking for direct replacements on my 1999 300SE that were back lit because we run at night often and can't see the switches without a flash light. No luck finding a direct fit yet.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: to iboats Still-CAVOK. Great to have you join us...

Take a few pictures of the installed switch and one that you've removed and post them. There thousands of folks on these forums and if there is a direct replacement, I'm sure somebody will chime in with where to get them... JMHO!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
probably carling technologies or cherry switch or apem switch

gaugeman

Seaman Apprentice
all switches and breakers on Doral boats are made by Carling

Correct.Switches are made by Carling. Contura II is the rocker switch style. Figuring out the part number is another issue...Ask me how I know. Still working on getting part numbers for the switches

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Being totally familiar with switches and their normal terminology, I find it interesting to see switches that simply don't follow the normal terminology. If I am looking for a SPDT center off rocker switch, it could be any number of configurations depending the manufacturer. Even here on Iboats, they don't list their switches in a standard switch configuration. So trying to get the switch you actually want is a crap-shoot at best. I even went to the switch manufacturing website to get their part numbers to use when I am looking for a certain type switch. Otherwise, I really don't know what is listed so many times. Two switches listed as SPDT on/off/on can be totally different types. One is center off while the other is actually no center position at all. And that switch should be listed as SPDT on/on or on/none/on. Just my experiences because I have been gathering rocker switches for my project boat recently...

gaugeman

Seaman Apprentice
Being totally familiar with switches and their normal terminology, I find it interesting to see switches that simply don't follow the normal terminology. If I am looking for a SPDT center off rocker switch, it could be any number of configurations depending the manufacturer. Even here on Iboats, they don't list their switches in a standard switch configuration. So trying to get the switch you actually want is a crap-shoot at best. I even went to the switch manufacturing website to get their part numbers to use when I am looking for a certain type switch. Otherwise, I really don't know what is listed so many times. Two switches listed as SPDT on/off/on can be totally different types. One is center off while the other is actually no center position at all. And that switch should be listed as SPDT on/on or on/none/on. Just my experiences because I have been gathering rocker switches for my project boat recently...

It even gets more complicated than that. The same switch may be momentarily on in the one position and stays on in the second position. or momentary on both...the number of permutations is unbelievable. Then add to that, there are lighted switch options. And symbol options. Then to further complicate it some options cannot be used in some configurations. I am completely bald from pulling my hair out from this experience.

dpospres

Seaman Apprentice
Actually I have had good luck in just replacing the caps on the switches. They just pop off, and new ones with non faded labels snap back on

bannister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Correct.Switches are made by Carling. Contura II is the rocker switch style. Figuring out the part number is another issue...Ask me how I know. Still working on getting part numbers for the switches

you can find the complete parts list at the Carling website as a pdf. a big pdf actually, but it is there.
If you can't find it, I will email it to you.

gaugeman

Seaman Apprentice
you can find the complete parts list at the Carling website as a pdf. a big pdf actually, but it is there.
If you can't find it, I will email it to you.

Thanks. I figured it out. The PDF is nice if you know what combinations you can have. There are literally thousands of permutations for these switches. I believe I have worked it out finally to get switches back lit and using symbols where possible. I also added indicators as to the status of some switches. It took a long time to figure it out. Now I am finally going for pricing....