250SE cupboad door locked below sink, cant open

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking for some feedback. My cabinet door in my 2000 250SE gally directly below my sink has permanently locked shut and I can not open. I have looked at options and it appears the only way is to pry sink basin lip loose from counter top and reach my arm in to release the latch. I am guessing something is not releasing when I press the stainless button on the door which releases and would then allow one to open the door. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

gm280

Supreme Mariner
OKay, Do you have door hinges exposed that could be removed? I'm not so sure that you can easily pry up the sink as easy as you may think. It could be anchored from underneath and if you pry at it, you could either damage the sink or the counter top. If you can remove hinges, then I would pry the door instead of the sink...

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OKay, Do you have door hinges exposed that could be removed? I'm not so sure that you can easily pry up the sink as easy as you may think. It could be anchored from underneath and if you pry at it, you could either damage the sink or the counter top. If you can remove hinges, then I would pry the door instead of the sink...

Yes I thought about hinges but the cabinet door is flush on the outside, the hinges are within. I have looked at this over and over and the only possibility appears to be removal of the sink, I will try to find some pics to post. I also thought about sliding something between the frame and the door itself but it is recessed the door cabinet is all flush and the non functionaing latch must have popped a spring or the mechanism broke inside

bannister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the sink is bolted too, you will do damage.... you will break the corian.
start by trying to lube the lock with some WD40 for a few minutes and try again.
if that doesn't work, remove the fridge and open a circular hole to the wall at the cabinet side next ot the lock big enough to get your hand in there...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If worst comes to worst, you could also take a fine hack saw blade and use it between the door and cabinet to saw your way through the latching unit to get it open. Then buy another latching unit and replace it. Probably going to buy one anyways unless you can fix the one you have from locking you out again.