2000 Doral 250 SE Problem Getting on Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serenitynow

Recruit
Greetings all!

I have a 2000 250 SE and seem to have a hard time getting on plane when there are three or more people on the boat, it takes a long time if ever to get up. The trim tabs help a little but it's still an issues. A few things to note about the boat..

- I have stainless 26 pitch props (bravo III drive)
- It has the 7.4L MPI engine.
- The boat has the after market swim platform that is huge (and probably adds a fair amount of wait at the back).

Any ideas or is this a typical issue with boat? Should I consider a different size prop?

Thanks in advance

Jon
Serenity Now!

Taylor Made

Cadet
Re: 2000 Doral 250 SE Problem Getting on Plane

What is your Wide Open Throttle RPM with the 26 pitch prop? Are you hitting the rev limiter?

If you aren't near your rev limit, lower your pitch to 24 or 22. Should help getting on plane.

bannister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2001 250SE.
Yes it is common but solvable, and shouldn't happen with a 7.4 MPI..... (mine is a 350 MPI).
We need to know your WOT rpm with typical load on the boat plus driver only. You need to be around 4600 - 4800 rpm.
Anywhere lower than 4600, your props are too much.
We also need to know the drive ratio (must be 2.2 to 1)
26 sounds to me TOO high. 24 (even 22) sound the way to go. That is the most probable cause of your problem.
To have a calculation of what your prop pitch should be (in theory), put your boat data there.....

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector/#

I am running 22 pitch and is just right.
The 250SE (specially with the platform) is stern heavy (and heavy in general) and fully loaded plus two MIGHT need a little help with the tabs.

Other things to check..... (I had the same problem with you and no.1 solved it instantly)

1. Ignition timing (mine was minus 10 degrees, engine was struggling and on plane without tabs was impossible. Now just planes straight away)
2. fuel system
3. distributor and spark plug wires
4. restrictions at the exhaust

Hope I was helpful.

Good luck.

I also had a SE 250 2000 with the 7.4, I added 200 lbs of sand bag in the bow to help this same issue. I found the swim platform dug in and caused drag when getting out of the hole. It's a big engine (weight wise) on a 25 and a long swim platform + I assume your passengers are in the cockpit when you take off. The trim tabs don't have enough surface area to really pull it off, and to see my point have your guest go below 1x.
Great boat.

Serenitynow

Recruit

Thanks again for the advice. I was only getting to 3800 rpm and 38 mph on WOT with the 26" props, after checking the site below I purchased 22? props.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector/#

I tested the new props over the weekend and expected to get up to 4600 rpm on WOT but only hit 4000 RMP (and about 37 mph). The boat gets out of the water faster, but not the improvement I was looking for.

A difference of 200 RPM for 4? seems low and before I go any lower on the pitch, I thought I?d ask if there could be other issues I should check first?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

bannister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Next to check is base spark advance (timing) must be 10 degrees at service mode and your tach.
For checking and setting of ignition timing engine must be set on service mode with either metal pin on the diagnostic connector or a scan tool. You can find info on how to at the Mercruiser forum here.
Tach can be checked the same way (scan tool) and if not spot on, there is a small screw (inside a small hole) at the back of the tach to adjust it.....(mine was loosing 300 rpm)

Generally, from 26 to 22 pitch should give you 400 rpm. Do not go lower. Did that before only to get on plane easier but to keep cruising speed (and keep pace with the rest) I was running at 4200 and burning lots of fuel.......
Top speed of that hull is about 42 to 45 mph tops with any engine tested and with a clean hull and drive.
So check your speed now and if around 40+ then your tach needs adjustament for sure.
I am running 22 pitch too, have a 300bhp 5.7 MPI and hit 4800 rpm at 42-45 mph depending on load and conditions.

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am searching for a boat currently , was considering a Bayliner 255, I will be dropping in the salt 24/7 and have decided to try to stretch for a mint 2000 250SE with the 5.7 Gi, one owner mint shape 425 hrs. I just love the boat and it has lived its life in fresh for about 4mths a year then winterized and stored. If I am able to get it I think I will add the Neutra Salt system after I add the FWC it needs and I will be good to go. Great forum here as I learn, all of you guys above have one damn fine boat!

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am searching for a boat currently , was considering a Bayliner 255, I will be dropping in the salt 24/7 and have decided to try to stretch for a mint 2000 250SE with the 5.7 Gi, one owner mint shape 425 hrs. I just love the boat and it has lived its life in fresh for about 4mths a year then winterized and stored. If I am able to get it I think I will add the Neutra Salt system after I add the FWC it needs and I will be good to go. Great forum here as I learn, all of you guys above have one damn fine boat!

Neutra salt is on my Elegante, the only issues I have found are the solenoids failing and blockages of the lines, given I have done 800 plus hrs in 6 years I have found that a little annoying!
Which ever boat you choose I would recommend an electrical survey preferably in the berth. Many manufacturers fail to isolate properly and an older boat has the added issue of years of maintenance and replacement risers etc. that may not have been done properly. Not a big deal in freshwater but a problem in salt. Check the battery chargers, many are mounted on conductive surfaces, this was fine on the old manual on off types but not a good idea on the newer automatic trickle feed types.
The Doral is a much better boat than the Bayfender :eek: and a better forum too... :D

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have opted to go w the Doral. I will see it on the 15th and will have access to all service records and work done for the past 8 yrs. Prior 3 were at another Marina. I will get the marine survey done to confirm good electronics and hull integrity amongst whatever else is checked. I do know that since new owner has replaces all batteries. 1 this year, 2 last year. The boat is in freshwater for approx 4 mths then dry stored after winterizing w antifreeze and fuel stabilizer plus anything else normally done? This is all new to me. I would assume that service records will show if manifolds or gaskets have been replaces on the top end? I am debating if all appears good w service records and lake trial sounds fine as to whether i will do mechanical check. Upon purchasing i will have the hull primered, epoxy protected and anti foul bottom painted. Then i will add a 1/2 system fwc and the QL Neutra Salt system

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have opted to go w the Doral. I will see it on the 15th and will have access to all service records and work done for the past 8 yrs. Prior 3 were at another Marina. I will get the marine survey done to confirm good electronics and hull integrity amongst whatever else is checked. I do know that since new owner has replaces all batteries. 1 this year, 2 last year. The boat is in freshwater for approx 4 mths then dry stored after winterizing w antifreeze and fuel stabilizer plus anything else normally done? This is all new to me. I would assume that service records will show if manifolds or gaskets have been replaces on the top end? I am debating if all appears good w service records and lake trial sounds fine as to whether i will do mechanical check. Upon purchasing i will have the hull primered, epoxy protected and anti foul bottom painted. Then i will add a 1/2 system fwc and the QL Neutra Salt system

I wouldn't skimp on the mechanical survey, it is cheap insurance. Better to spend a couple of hundred and find you need to walk away than find you have a lemon that costs a fortune and has you walk away from boating!
As part of the survey, see if you can get the surveyor to list any issues he foresees over the next twelve months, that makes the cost of the survey even better value.

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just had the same problem, had the boat pulled and the drives and trim tabs were covered in barnecals. Cleaned them up and fixed my problems. (My fuel economy is much better as well).

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just had the same problem, had the boat pulled and the drives and trim tabs were covered in barnecals. Cleaned them up and fixed my problems. (My fuel economy is much better as well).

good to know I am picking up all sorts of tips here!

bannister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WOT should be 4600 - 4800 rpm for injected engine, 4500 - 4600 for carb engine.
Volvo props, noone really knows their pitch numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.