2000 Doral 300 SE, Merc. 5.0L EFI, Alpha I Gen 2, What Prop size/pitch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahorse1961

Recruit
Hello All, I recently purchased a 2000 Doral 300 SE with power as stated above. It seems very sluggish to get on plane and the WOT speed is not where everyone else seems to be (high 30's to low 40's MPH). I am wondering what others are running for Prop size/pitch? Thanks in advance for you help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

thats a big boat for such a little motor. a 30' boat needs twins or a big block. most were twin 5.7's and only got 28 knots

is your motor running 100%?
what is your WOT speed?

my guess on a prop for that motor on that boat would be a 15x19p 3-blade or a 15x17p 4-blade

and it will be extremely sluggish for a 5.0 to push 9500#

Seahorse1961

Recruit
Hi Scott, it is twins. After posting I noticed I didn’t say twins but can’t figure out how to edit the post.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can only edit the post for the first hour

even with twin 5.0's it will be sluggish. most were twin 5.7's and even with EFI, the 5.0 doesnt have the low end grunt that the larger motors have. no replacement for displacement.

what WOT RPM are you getting?
what props do you have on there now.

Seahorse1961

Recruit
Hi, I just wanted to update this post. After extensive research it seemed that the props on the boat were correct @ 14 X 19P. Although both engines seemed to be running fine, we put both engines on a diagnostic program. We found that the starboard engine wasn't firing on all cylinders. Upon closer inspection, the firing order was screwed up on the distributor cap. Swapped two wires, started her up and she ran like a swiss watch. Hopped up on plan and cruised at 30 MPH @ 3000 RPM and 41 MPH at WOT. Very pleased with the result.

T Sledge

Recruit
I just pick this boat up from a friend. It's not running. I need the manual to this boat. Do you happen to have one you can share? If yes, my email is nolimitmoney1@gmail.com Thanks

MODERATOR EDIT: Please review the forum rule about posting to old threads, and feel free to start a new thread with your specific information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.