Galvanic Isolater, in 360SE

im4mpatton2

Cadet
I replaced all of the incandescent rope lighting in my boat with new LEDs, which are much brighter and consume about 10% of the power required for the old lights. The section that runs behind the dinette under the valence was the most difficult to rewire. I removed the 4 screws for the wood panel that has the 4 rocker switches for the cabin lights and discovered a major electrical distribution panel behind it (and the connection for the rope light!). The purpose for this post is to highlight that this boat does have a galvanic isolator. My marine survey indicated that the boat didn't have one. I can see why he didn't find it! It's the black box at the top of the photo with the blue label. The one on my 2001 is a Pro Mariner, Zinc Saver II, 30 amps.

Attachments

• photo238548.jpg
    photo238548.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
Over the years I've seen similar results from other "so called" marine surveyors. Some don't look and others wouldn't know what it was if looking at it. We had a guy down here which was doing them all the time until a bank came in and asked for his credentials. Since then he hasn't been working in the field anymore.

Had a boat down here which was sold to a guy from out of state sight unseen. The surveyor said everything was in great shape. All us on the dock knew the boat was a wreck just waiting to sink. There still in court over it