497 sedan

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 497 sedan

Some details needed. How old is the boat? When was the last time the holding tank was pumped out, or the head cleaned? Have you checked the forward bilge where the shower and air conditioner condensation drain into? When was the last time, if at all, that the bilge area was cleaned out completeyl? Do you have any standing water and/or slime in the bilge area? What's the age and condition of the hoses between the head and the holding tank? Is the holding tank vent clean and clear? You need to do a little investigating and give some more details. We have a 3375 Esprit and occasionally get a smell from the head. Adding some bio-chemicals clears it up. The head is rarely used on our boat, but does need a pumpout next week, if the rains stop long enough to bring the boat to a pump-out station. I've given you some suggestions. You can get some more help and ideas and meet other Cruisers Yachts owners at the Cruisers Yachts Owners' Forum. I'll see you there. Hy

The boat is 07 but brand new it sat in a marina tell this sommer when we bought it.if we pump the tank it does go away,but as soon as we use it the smell comes back only when we cruise,the vent line is a good idea all that sitting there could be a wasp nest in it and the belge clean enough to eat off of,even though the boat is new thare is no warranty and the deal I had with the dealer was they didn't want to work on it,one thought I had was the vent line is only half inch dia maybe go bigger and ad a filter.thanks for your ideas anything helps.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations on your 'new' boat. From everything I've read on various forums, including the Cruiers Yachts forum, adding the vent filter will only add to your problem; I suggest you don't bother. You can try to flush out the vernt hose. Disconnect the hose from the tank and run water through it from a dockside hose. It should flow clearly. Add some 'good' bacteria to the head and holding tank. I keep a bottle of head conditioner in the head cabinet and add a capful to the head itself after each use. I keep the head side porthole open and have an air freshener on the ledge near the sink. I also leave the side portholes near the galley and the cabin table open so fresh air can circulate. I have screens on all the portholes so birds and flying insects can't get it. Even with all this, there is a slight smell when we enter the cabin after it's been closed for a week or so. Opening the forward hatch and cabin door allows a flow of air, which clears everything. I do plan on flushing out the head and its hoses with fresh water, and then having everything pumped out, just before we haul the boat in a few weeks. Hope this helps. Hy PS. Why don't you join the Cruisers Yachts Forum group and post the question there. Others may have some better solutions.

I checked the vent line it's clear,it also has a check valve on top of the tank to let air in but it seems ok,I was thanking of pluging it,what do you thank of that,thanks for your help it gives me encouragement.

wow I finally found the smell problem the bow thruster battery that is located in the master bed room was bad and the charger was bubbling acid out,i put a new battery in and never had a ounce of smell again,thanks littlebookworm for your help,i was about to give up and you had given me enough ideas that it made me stumble across it.