248ccr with 7.4 consumption questions

rick911

Cadet
Hi all, i went to look at a 248 cause i cant find a 225 in my area and really liked the boat. Its in really great chape for a 98. My only worry, coming from a guy whos first boat was a 3 litre 19 footer, is fuel consumption. I like to ho far with my boat, not really fast but we go places, so d like to know how much to expect from that particular boat.id like to keep it under 40$/hr. With gas prices at around 1.40$/litre, is this realistic or will i be running much higher than that.my other options are trying to find a 225 with a 350mag.

Anyone care to calm my worries?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: 248ccr with 7.4 consumption questions

yeah your going to run more gas, simple deal bigger boat bigger motor more gas, but if the same boat had a 350 MAG you would go through more gas so in my opinion yes its going to go through more gas then a 225 with a 350 MAG but less then the same 248 with a 350 MAG. Much higher gas no its all relative to how you drive it, if you boat with a bunch of guys your going to have the big boat which means that you are going to pull the big bad toys.

The other side is that I have the Big Bad Boat in my crowd, best looking fastest boat and I love that, you will have the bigger gas tank 60 Gallons too so you can gas it up in town rather then pay Marina prices which here in the States is a big deal also.

Also when we go for a big run say like we did at Lake Powell, 60 mile run(one way) 12 people at 50 MPH all in my boat the same trip a couple years ago we did with three boats, we saved almost half in gas. So its all relative.

tpenfield

Staff member

Plan on about 24 litres per hour of engine time overall average fuel consumption.

rick911

Cadet

24 avg l/hr is not bad at all. I didnt want to go near the 10g/hr range. Now i know its absolutly possible with this boat but i normally do not run too fast. I know i will run it hard some times and thats ok.