looking to buy a 2002 crownline 242

barkb49

Cadet
new to the site and first post. I am looking at a 2002 crownline 242 cr. my question is in reguards to the powerplant. i will just be running around on lake erie with the boat. 250 HP with a bravo III drive with 450 hours on it. is this considered on the low end performance wise? Should i keep shopping and look for a larger powerplant? also curious how this boat handles chop from owners who have been on this boat before? thank you for your time.

brian

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: looking to buy a 2002 crownline 242

5.7 huh? yeah that is on the low end for a 242 Crownline, but if you get it for a good price and the boat is worth it you could up power it if you are interested.

It will handle moderate sea states fine but anything more then 3' and your not going to be having any fun, I have been in 4' waves with 6' max and I wasn't happy at all, but I was on lake powell which simply cannot get as big of water as the great lakes can, you just have to learn to pay attention to the weather and be smart about boating.

as for the Boat itself, provided it has been cared for properly the boat should serve you well and make you a proud Captain.

Would I keep looking? yes, but only because of the motor, I am a Crownline guy so I am biased, I love the brand, I have zero desire to get another boat from another manufacturer, Quality, fit and finish, Performance I have never been disappointed with Crownlines.

BUT, the most important thing to remember is that the boat has had to have been cared for properly, first and foremost.

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats, Brian . . .

250 HP, I assume that it is a 5.7. A bit on the light side. I had a Formula 24 Cuddy 5,000 lbs with a 7.4L and it was OK power.

Here is a video of a 2003 242CR, in case you have not seen it: 2003 Crownline 242 Cruiser 5.7 Volvo - YouTube

I checked NADA and it seems that the standard engine is more in the 300 HP range, and a 250hp engine subtracts a bit from the estimated value. 6,000 lbs weight, so it would really want a 7.4L or 8.1L engine. . . or 350 Magnum.

Where are you located? (you can add your location to your profile or signature for future reference)

Is this the boat? : http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-Crownline-242-CR-101871989

I think I talked to those guys about a Formula 280 this past summer. They seemed very responsive & helpful.

barkb49

Cadet

thank you for the welcome and the replies. Indeed that is the boat i am looking at. i am located in huron ohio. i will work on getting the profile cleaned up a bit. any other advance i am open to suggestions. i dont know a lot about boats so any advance will be generously accepted.

tpenfield

Staff member

You will want a marine surveyor to go through the boat. Make your offer contingent on a satisfactory survey. - you are the one who decides what 'satisfactory' means. There are 2 national associations for marine surveyors - NAMS and SAMS (sounds like they are twins or something). You can search for a certified surveyor in your area. Expect to pay about $500 for the survey.

The surveyor will look for things that are not up-to-par on the boat and check the hull and structure for integrity, moisture, rot, etc. You will then receive a detailed report of the results and recommendations. All boats will have some stuff that is not quite right. Many of them are not show stoppers, some will be typical of the age of the boat, and some may be cause for concern. Often the survey will be combined with a sea trial that the surveyor participates in.

If the lake is not frozen, then you should have the opportunity for a sea trial. Running a boat in the water under actual load conditions is very telling. Keep in mind that most engines will run great on land with no load. . . it does not mean anything.

You may also need/want to have the engine inspected and a compression test run. This would give you an added measure of confidence if all goes well. Expect to pay about $200 for a compression test.

barkb49

Cadet

well that boat is under contract i shall be forced to continue looking now. thanks for the advice though.