1997 Crownline 202 BR

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
My wife and I are looking at a 1997 Crownline 202 BR with a 5.7L Alpha I in a couple of weeks. Comes with a trailer with newer tires and surge brakes.

Looks really nice in the pictures, blue interior and exterior with the rear bench and two swivel captains chairs.

A lot of things have been updating like the interior has mostly been recovered, 19" prop and a 21" prop, and stereo. The stereo is a newer JVC with a detach face, 4 speakers, an amp and a sub. The sub and amp are in the engine area. Also comes with a satelite radio connection. Also comes with custom cockpit and bow covers made a couple years ago that match the blue fo the boat. A trailer-able cover for the boat as well. Comes with a hot tube, trainer skis, small life jackets, bumpers, and some ropes.

The leg was replaced 4 years ago with a brand new factory built one. All work has been done at one marina since it was new and two owners for the boat. One part that worries me it has been kept in the water for some seasons but lately on a lift. I will check the transom for sure.

One thing I noticed the is the passenger dash vinyl is a little messd up, nothing that can't be fixed.

What are some things to look for? Going for a sea trial in it so I will see how that goes, also I will check the compression on the motor.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: 1997 Crownline 202 BR

Sounds like it has lived a tough life. I'd be concerned with wood rot and wet foam. When I hear of interior recover my mind jumps to being exposed to the elements, owner neglect and the many stories of forgetting to also refinish the floor. I'd jump all over the place looking for give. Post some pics of it and we can give you our unsolicited opinions as well. If I was going to buy an older generation boat a Crownline would certainly be toward the top of the list.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the sundeck was recovered because it had a tear in it. Plus 14 year old vinyl might need to be replaced.

i am definitely going to bring a hammer and will do plenty of jumping.

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everything checked out great on the boat, test drive went really well. And he accepted our offer. now time to make sure the bank is cool with it and we can bring it home this weekend.

183746_558568781881_36000751_32334496_4081357_n.jpg

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

Out of curiosity what did you end up paying, I am looking at a very similar boat, thanks.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

We actually caught the guy needed to move the boat since he already bought his new Crownline. He advertised it for $9,500 and we got it for $8,250 which is right at the NADA for just the boat so the trailer was just about free.

jkust

Rear Admiral

We actually caught the guy needed to move the boat since he already bought his new Crownline. He advertised it for $9,500 and we got it for $8,250 which is right at the NADA for just the boat so the trailer was just about free.

That's a lot of boat for that price. I wonder how that passenger console vinyl got to be like that.

KY-boatguy

Recruit

I am redoing a 1996 Crownline 202br that i bought from the second owner, that thought he was a mechanic and left everything in pieces, could you take a few picture of what your boat looks like under the engine hatch, front, both side of the engine and where they have the lower unit placed at (should be on the right side of the compartment as your looking at the engine?
I would GREATLY appreciate this

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might want to try Crowniehq.net It's a site for Crownline owners and we have a thread going about that there.

There should be some pictures there of the engine hatch area.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a lot of boat for that price. I wonder how that passenger console vinyl got to be like that.

Sadly every CL in that year range has the same thing going on by the passenger dash. I guess the heat make the vinyl stretch and contract when cooled and it pulled away from the fiberglass dash.