How Fast?

playball01

Recruit
I have a 2005 202 LPX with a 6.2 MPI (320 hp), Corsa Captain's Call, BravoOne. It's 100% stock with 200 hours on it (used low hours every summer). The hull is spotless, lives on the original stock bunk trailer (no hook). Runs absolutely perfectly.

I'm wondering if some of the more experienced boaters here could opine as to the maximum top speed that one could achieve with this boat?

I'm not really looking for a lesson on the fundamentals of prop selection (there's plenty of information on that topic). What I am hoping to find is someone who is familiar with the 202BR series of this vintage who could provide an educated opinion regarding the top speed one could expect to get without mods. For the sake of argument, let's say 2 people, no gear, quarter-tank of gas, smooth water, sea level. Pick any prop you want, don't worry about hole-shot, just best top end within recommended WOT range (4800-5200).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers.

tpenfield

Staff member
First post? :welcome:

What kind of boat are you racing against?

You can Google some info . . . looks like you can expect 55 mph ish Maybe 60 mph going downhill. :)

alldodge

Staff member
Boat Mag did a test with a B3 drive and 5.7 mpi which did 54.7 mph. Boat weight is 3600 lb dry so with the 6.2 you might get 60 mph

playball01

Recruit
tpenfield and AllDodge thank you very much for the replies. The mid-50s mph seems like a reasonable expectation. What throws me I suppose is all the speed claims I keep reading (eg - carbed 5.0 220 hp running high 50s on GPS etc).

Not sure if I can spin up a 23" but I'm sure a 21" will work. (I'm currently using a 19" Mirage Plus and I can hit the rev limiter no problem). TurningPoint makes both 21" and 23" aluminum 3-blades that are super-cheap. Are you guys familiar with these at all?

Again, thanks for your help.

alldodge

Staff member
TurningPoint makes both 21" and 23" aluminum 3-blades

Have not any contact with these props, but if they are cheap enough they may be worth the try.

using a 19" Mirage Plus and I can hit the rev limiter no problem

Are you hitting the rev limiter (above 5200 rpm) by trimming up or with throttle?
Are you sure your tach is accurate, or are you feeling the motor cut out?

playball01

Recruit
Yes the tach is accurate (I got brand new Faria tach and GPS speedo). To be clear, I'm not in the habit of going over the 5200 but I just meant that I have at least 300 RPM solid headroom (no ventilation, blowout or extra slip) at the top end with the 19".

I think you're right that it's probably worth trying the TurningPoint product. It's an incredible price point and they swear their aluminums don't flex as much as others (you have to take that with a grain of salt of course).