1979 Crestliner Muskie 550 wont trim up

cavsoulja

Recruit
So i just bought a 1979 Crestliner Muskie 550 15' boat. It has an old Mercury 900 90hp outboard on it. Also i am a first time boat owner, anyways so my question is the motor wont trip up when i press the trip up button. It trims down just fine and when i press the "trailer" button it will trim all the way up but as far as the trim up button goes on the throttle it will not go up. I have not launched the boat yet i have just been playing with it in my driveway. Just want to be sure that the motor will trip up when i get on plane out on the lake. I suppose that i could trim it up with the trailer button but that seems kind of inconvenient as it is not on the throttle. I was thinking maybe the trim up button only works with the motor running or maybe when it is in gear? Any thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1979 Crestliner Muskie 550 wont trim up

Welcome aboard.

Three things come to mind. A bad trim switch on the throttle, bad or disconnected trim limit switch or a wiring problem. As long as a battery is connected the trim motor should function, a running motor or gear position has nothing to do with it. Good luck.

cavsoulja

Recruit

Yeah, lol I guess I kind of knew in my head that it had nothing to do with the motor running or gear position. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to mess with the wiring. Im going to take a look at the wiring tonight and I will update.

cavsoulja

Recruit

So i got it figured out, the wires that ran from the throttle to the motor that lifts the engine all went in to a plug that plugs into the lifting motor. That plug apparently will go in multiple different ways and it was just in there wrong. Took it out and tried a couple different ways and everything works now. Thanks for the help!