1990 Mirage fish & ski with SST & 1996 75HP Honda

Palamaly

Recruit
Hello all!
My dad gave me this boat about 7 years ago. He no longer used it after using in FL on the ocean. He didn't clean it up very well. I replaced the steering cables and had a full tune up on the engine which probably had a total of about 200 hrs max (only run for about 5 years before sitting for another 5).
I would like input on a few problems:
There is a hairline crack at the transom and hull creating a tiny leak. Small enough to only be a concern if leaving docked in water overnight. When first discovered I used JB Weld, but leak came back and I tried Marine Tek on the exterior. Still came back. The crack is right where the trailer bunk ends which is where the transom starts. My questions are if the crack is related to the bunk or just age? Also, the fixes people offer varies significantly - even had the suggestion of fiberglass patch over the marine tek. The wood on the inside is close to the crack along with the stringer preventing easy access. Would I be able to cut away a small portion (1" X 3") of the plywood that is glued to the aluminum transom to gain easier access?
Related problem that saltwater corroded wiring such that bilge pump doesn't work. Other wiring is also going (running lights & live well). So buying new wire and switches is planned to be installed with the new bilge pump already purchased. Since I am doing new switches, What advantage would a tach be to add with the gauges?
Lastly, I dislike the jump seat & table under the bimini storage. Has anyone done a remodel to have a wall that comes up and slides on top over the sst well to be a platform?
I'll get pics this weekend when I'm at my father in law's barn.
Thanks to all for input!

88Crestliner

Cadet
Re: 1990 Mirage fish & ski with SST & 1996 75HP Honda

Hello all!
My dad gave me this boat about 7 years ago. He no longer used it after using in FL on the ocean. He didn't clean it up very well. I replaced the steering cables and had a full tune up on the engine which probably had a total of about 200 hrs max (only run for about 5 years before sitting for another 5).
I would like input on a few problems:
There is a hairline crack at the transom and hull creating a tiny leak. Small enough to only be a concern if leaving docked in water overnight. When first discovered I used JB Weld, but leak came back and I tried Marine Tek on the exterior. Still came back. The crack is right where the trailer bunk ends which is where the transom starts. My questions are if the crack is related to the bunk or just age? Also, the fixes people offer varies significantly - even had the suggestion of fiberglass patch over the marine tek. The wood on the inside is close to the crack along with the stringer preventing easy access. Would I be able to cut away a small portion (1" X 3") of the plywood that is glued to the aluminum transom to gain easier access?
Related problem that saltwater corroded wiring such that bilge pump doesn't work. Other wiring is also going (running lights & live well). So buying new wire and switches is planned to be installed with the new bilge pump already purchased. Since I am doing new switches, What advantage would a tach be to add with the gauges?
Lastly, I dislike the jump seat & table under the bimini storage. Has anyone done a remodel to have a wall that comes up and slides on top over the sst well to be a platform?
I'll get pics this weekend when I'm at my father in law's barn.
Thanks to all for input!

You might check with Crestliner ... They have a pretty strong warranty on their welded hulls, either 20 or 30 yrs. I know it's a 1990, but if it's a 30 yr warranty, then they should fix it for you. I'd say contact Crestliner quickly. You can either talk to the factory (www.crestliner.com) or use their dealer locator to locate the local crestliner dealer. Good luck. As for your sst well, I think Crestliner actually had an option that would convert that well to a covered area, just as they had one for the open bow area also. You can probably do a google search to see how they did it.

Palamaly

Recruit

Unfortunately the warranty was a 10/20 year that was transferrable but expired a couple years ago. :facepalm:

My main concern is that it isn't something I am doing to create the problem.

88Crestliner

Cadet

I wouldn't necessarily think it's something you're doing. That being said, you might consider shorter or longer bunks that either allow more flexing of the hull, or support the transom. I guess it is possible that the bunk going right up to, and stopping short of the transom allows the transom assembly to put alot of stress on the welds when the trailer goes over bumps and it bounces.

I would probably recommend that you get the crack fixed by welding at a good competent weld shop that is schooled in aluminum welding, and also consider shorter or longer bunks on your trailer.

Palamaly

Recruit

Would I need to remove everything flammable from the boat so it is only bare metal? What should I expect to pay?

88Crestliner

Cadet

As far as what you can expect to pay, I have no idea, so you might want to call around. As far as removing flammables, I think it would probably be a good idea, but the weld shop, if they're competent, will double check where they're welding.