1983 Cobia SunSkiff 156

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy all, just bought my first boat, a nice old '83 Cobia Sunskiff 156 with a Johnson 60hp motor. Looked great in the old owners driveway but now that she's home and I'm going over her with a fine tooth comb, I'm finding a bunch of little stuff that needs attention. I guess that's to be expected with a 25 year old boat.
Anyway...I can't seem to find much info anywhere about the SunSkiffs, does anyone have any info on them? Where they decent boats? Do they hold up well? Were they a Cobia experiment gone bad (ie: junk?)

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1983 Cobia SunSkiff 156

Why is it that Cobia tells me that the SunSkiffs were their best selling boats fo years and years and yet no one can tell me anything about them.

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

9 months later, almost 500 views later and no one has any information on this boat.
Wow, amazing. So much for the helpful boating community.

gene pline

Cadet

I fished one way back then and it served us well.A coworker owned it and we had that little boat out twelve miles or so chasing kings.It was excellent in the bays and we could scoot up in the skinny water for bait anywhere.It's a great little bay boat and there are some still in the area,as they where built here in Panama City.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i have the ss177 and havethe same thing as you a few things i found that i did not see at first, good boat i love it yet almost no info can be found on it, i also have a johnny 60.

-nate

kdutch917

Recruit

The Cobia Sunskiffs were great boats. A friend of mine owned a 21 cc for years. One of the best riding boats I have ever fished from. He now has a 156side console that we rebuilt many years ago. It had a rotten deck and transom. We rebuilt both and cut out all the boxes to give it more room. We completely re-gelcoated it inside also. Filled the voids below deck w/10 marine foam. It too rides extremely well for a tri-hull type boat. Have had it up to 15 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico on nice days but generally use it inshore. When we ripped out the floor in it, we found that they used OSB which is a type of wafer board that will soak up water and fall apart. Replaced it with plywood and glassed it all down. No problems to date (some 15 years later).

65Mech

Seaman Apprentice

ive got one that im restoring right now. its not going to look like it used to. floor plan is changing a bit and the useless boxes in the back are going to serve a storage purpose. if you have any q's, feel free to pm me..
Cee

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I have am 18' Cobia Sunskiff. Mine is a '87 hull and it is a Vee-Bottom. Has a '85 Suzuki 115 OB on it. Good boat. Previous owner put in a new floor and a 36 gallon tank under the floor. Due to the position of the Gas tank, rides a little low in the rear for me. They did not seal around the Fuel tank hatch as well as they should have and I may need to redo the floor again in a few years. I have not run mine in 3 years due to soem other engine issues, but overall, it is a good boat. My biggest gripe about it is it is a very light hull and now very good for rough water. However in fair weather, great and smooth...

acabtp

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I know I am dredging an old thread up from the depths... but I have good reason. I need to stir up any other owners out there, because I bought one of the seeming elusive Sunskiff 156 today! No motor, center console is gone, but the hull looks great and the floor has already been redone. I got home after dark, so pics will have to wait until tomorrow. A new project begins...

First question: I cannot find the manufacturer's plate with the year, weight limit or HP rating. Was it on the console? The HID was stamped on the rear of the boat, but was alone with no other info.

Thanks,
Tom

acabtp

Seaman Apprentice

Still can't find the manufacturer's plate, but I was able to determine the boat is a 1983. Does anyone know the weight and HP ratings for the 1983 Sunskiff 156?

Thanks,
Tom

bsully

Recruit

TOM-I have a center console from a sunskiff. I will be putting it in a whaler. There is a tag on it-it says 5 persons or 675 lbs, 1165 persons, motor, and gear, 90 is max hp. Hope this helps.Brian

acabtp

Seaman Apprentice

TOM-I have a center console from a sunskiff. I will be putting it in a whaler. There is a tag on it-it says 5 persons or 675 lbs, 1165 persons, motor, and gear, 90 is max hp. Hope this helps.Brian

Thanks Brian, that helps a lot. Just to verify, do you know if that center console was out of a 1983 Sunskiff 156? You didn't just pull it off a boat in Greenwood Lake, NY last week did you?

acabtp

Seaman Apprentice

Also, would it be possible for you to please take a picture of that plate? I am going to need to have one made up in case the marine police decide to inspect me, and I would prefer having it look original. Thanks!
Tom

bsully

Recruit

Tom-that is where the console came from. That's crazy.I just finished putting an epoxy repair on the console-it was cracked. We almost bought the hull and trailer, but we are working on a whaler rehab and we have a 22' Mako waiting at our slip to catch some stripers, so we backed off on it. I have learned that sometimes you just can't do everything.If for some reason we do not use the console, I will let you know. Did the trailer make it home ok? The hull is very cool-solid floor and transom. That should dance a little bit with a 70 and up. I am leaving this morning for the weekend, but I can get pictures to you early next week. Also, Cobia,assuming they are still in business, may be able to provide you with a duplicate of the original sticker. Keep in touch, Regards, Brian

acabtp

Seaman Apprentice

Hah, small world! You have a private message...

mickeyknox

Recruit

ive got one that im restoring right now. its not going to look like it used to. floor plan is changing a bit and the useless boxes in the back are going to serve a storage purpose. if you have any q's, feel free to pm me..
Cee

hi all, was given a 1982 cobia 156 sunskiff a few years ago. It was given to me for nothing because it had been in a traffic accident when it was on the trailer. The older gentleman didn't want anything to do with it anymore, and wanted it out of his yard. So, long story short, the trailer was damaged (luckily it appears the boat itself escaped anything other than cosmetic damage) and I had to have the whole thing towed to my house. Finally got the trailer in working enough order that it could be pulled behind my truck. Been working on replacing the floor, the stringers, possibly the transom and just generally getting it back in working order ever since. However, seeing as I have absolutely no experience in boats, let along rebuilding them, it has been a long and frustrating journey. It seems that every time i tear something out, it appears that something else needs replacement. Luckily the 70hp mercury engine it has runs very well, at least it did the last time the ignition was still hooked up, which was about 8-9 months ago. I know there haven't been any posts on this thread in awhile, but perhaps someone can guide me in the best ways to restore this boat. I'm in florida as well, everyone has a boat here, so, some local help would also be nice. Thanks!!

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Im digging this up too, but there is no way a 156 can take a 90hp? My 177 is not quite 16 ft long and with a 60 it goes 30+mph with just me. The 156 must be smaller? My boat with a 90 would fly!! can imagine on a smaller one.

fishfun

Recruit

Howdy all, just bought my first boat, a nice old '83 Cobia Sunskiff 156 with a Johnson 60hp motor. Looked great in the old owners driveway but now that she's home and I'm going over her with a fine tooth comb, I'm finding a bunch of little stuff that needs attention. I guess that's to be expected with a 25 year old boat.
Anyway...I can't seem to find much info anywhere about the SunSkiffs, does anyone have any info on them? Where they decent boats? Do they hold up well? Were they a Cobia experiment gone bad (ie: junk?)

:)cobia sunskiff made in florida and is one of the greatest boats ever built.i own a 1982 15.6 and i buff and wax the hull every year and it is in great shape i fish every weekend and the only problem i see are a few small cracks here and there.i have fished a lot in the gulf and the bay it handles well no matter what.

fishfun

Recruit

Im digging this up too, but there is no way a 156 can take a 90hp? My 177 is not quite 16 ft long and with a 60 it goes 30+mph with just me. The 156 must be smaller? My boat with a 90 would fly!! can imagine on a smaller one.

i have a 156 cobia sunskiff with a 90 tohatsu fuel injected 2 stroke runs great tops out about 40 mph at 5400 rpm

BoostinGST

Cadet

I too have an 83 156 center console, not sure on the rpms but I have a 13 3/8 x 17p prop on a 90hp johnson original motor... the boat does 36mph on gps and I am pretty sure it has more in it... being that it is normally only 2 of us on the boat and its never used for skiing I am looking at a 19p+ prop. with the 17p it gets on plane in a matter of seconds and makes you hold on tight lol.