New owner of an older Cobalt, questions about adding a few options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjfrank

Recruit
Hi everyone;
My wife and I are in the process of trading our 1998 Sea Ray 280 BR for a 2001 Cobalt 292 BR. I think it's going to be a great upgrade for us, swim platform, couple more feet of space, quality build, and twin Volvo 5.7GSi DP. I think the Cobalt matches the quality of the SR, and then some.

On to my questions, I did end up passing on two options that I wanted in my next boat though, but it looks like one of them may be easy to add. I'd like to put a windlass, and the bow filler cushion on our new boat. The bow cushion might be tough to find, unless Cobalt still carries them, but I'm thinking the windlass shouldn't be that hard. Does anyone know what brand/model anchor roller fairlead and windlass that Cobalt would have used for this era boat? I assume that they just use a standard off-the-shelf model from a common manufacturer. It looks like part of the items are there, there is a stainless plate in front of the anchor locker, and a anchor latch hook. It looks as though I could bolt on a fairlead and a windlass and be almost done. (save for the wiring)

Hoping someone can fill in the blanks for me here.

Thanks!
--Mike Frank

joefontanini

Recruit
Re: New owner of an older Cobalt, questions about adding a few options.

Hi everyone;
My wife and I are in the process of trading our 1998 Sea Ray 280 BR for a 2001 Cobalt 292 BR. I think it's going to be a great upgrade for us, swim platform, couple more feet of space, quality build, and twin Volvo 5.7GSi DP. I think the Cobalt matches the quality of the SR, and then some.

On to my questions, I did end up passing on two options that I wanted in my next boat though, but it looks like one of them may be easy to add. I'd like to put a windlass, and the bow filler cushion on our new boat. The bow cushion might be tough to find, unless Cobalt still carries them, but I'm thinking the windlass shouldn't be that hard. Does anyone know what brand/model anchor roller fairlead and windlass that Cobalt would have used for this era boat? I assume that they just use a standard off-the-shelf model from a common manufacturer. It looks like part of the items are there, there is a stainless plate in front of the anchor locker, and a anchor latch hook. It looks as though I could bolt on a fairlead and a windlass and be almost done. (save for the wiring)

Hoping someone can fill in the blanks for me here.

Thanks!
--Mike Frank

HI Mike- I have bought the same boat and also wanted to add the windlass- Were you able to do it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank s

mjfrank

Recruit
Re: New owner of an older Cobalt, questions about adding a few options.

HI Mike- I have bought the same boat and also wanted to add the windlass- Were you able to do it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank s

Hi Joe,
Nope I haven't gotten much farther since I've posted this. I did call the Cobalt factory, and while they were very nice, they no longer have the original anchor chute/bow roller in stock. They did send me the original engineering drawings that were used to manufacture the part, and the name of the company that made them for Cobalt. The company was Davis Anchor, and I emailed them sometime in August, but they have never responded. I just looked recently, and the website is different now, as is the address, so something changed since August.

After pricing out what was needed for this, I decided that just having the bow roller on the bow would be sufficient, and I would just manually raise and lower the anchor. My two gripes are that the anchor locker is not big enough for the anchor that I'm currently using, and it's a long reach over the gunnel to drop the anchor down or lift it back up. So basically I'm still searching for the bow roller, or at least something very close.

Let me know if you have made any progress.

--Mike

ronmcfarland

Recruit
I own a cobalt 206 year 2000 with 350 mag MPI bravo 3.anyone have a sluggish takeoff?boat seems very slow on the hole shot.then the boat will wander in the no wake zone , you have to constantly turn the wheel to the right then back to the left. Any comments? Thx Ron

I know this is quite an old thread but we recently purchased a 2004 282 Cobalt and were interested in adding a windlass anchor -- just wondering if you ever got anywhere with that and/or how the bow roller worked out for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.