Just Bought a 1994 220 Bow Rider.......I have a few ??????

It has the Volvo with a 350 Chevy. The boat has a 127 hours on it and it looks BRAND NEW!!! Now I took it out Sunday for a ride. I was a little disapointed in the speed. It will only go about 40 m.p.h. Its turning 4,200 rpm,s and it runs great. I just thought it would be a little faster.

Id like to Add a swim Deck. Im wondering if anybody has done this before? Thanks Dan

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Just Bought a 1994 220 Bow Rider.......I have a few ??????

Some of that will depend on which 350 and which drive. The 320 HP MPI engine (Not sure if they were doing that in '94) coupled with a BIII or VP DuoProp should push it a little faster than 40. Was that GPS or speedo? Also, check your manual for suggested WOT. Sounds like you're not quite there. I would expect it to be 4600 or so. Try trimming up a little and see if you get a little more out of her.

jkust

Rear Admiral

MPI didn't come around until the early 2000's and previously it was efi. Presuming your engine is also a 1994 it is old school pre-vortec heads, etc meaning lower prop hp than the 1996 on up vortec GM's. None the less the 350 still had some decent power and unless you are spinning a too high pitch prop or some other undiagnosed issue, I'm going to say it should have more to give. As for an extended swim platform, adding one after the fact is common. There are a couple of good sites that will sell you one. Getting used to the idea of drilling into the fiberglass is a hump you have to get over but I've heard they aren't too bad to install.

Tell us what boat you have.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like something could be keeping it from coming up to full speed. Prop is the first thing that comes to mind.

What altitude do you boat at? What altitude did the PO boat at?

Cobalt hulls are generally pretty quick so I would expect upper 40's to low 50's. Gonna have to get the RPMs up.

Bifflefan

Commander

has a 127 hours on it and it looks BRAND NEW!!!
Looks??? Did you have it checked out first?

It will only go about 40 m.p.h. Its turning 4,200 rpm,s and it runs great.
How many people were on it? how much weight? Was it trimmed correctly? Where did you get that MPH reading, GPS or speedo? Did you have a head wind? What is the prop "p"?

I would read up about props in the prop section. There are a number of tests and info there.

Well first I was only going by the Speedo and I know better then that,however this boat has the worst looking bottom paint on it I have ever seen on a boat. I removed some of this CRAP and I picked up 200 rpm's and a couple MPH. I called a local dealer and max RPM's on the 1994 EFI motor is 4'400. So im close now. This was with the boat trimmed all the way up and two people in it. I will play with a GPS this weekend to see what it is really doing. This is FAR from my first boat purchase. This boat has very low hours. I just don't know alot about this Volvo OutDrive.

As far as the props go it has a 36 on one of the props that doesn't mean a thing to me.