1977 19 ft Cobalt

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have just bought this boat and it has been sitting for over 20 years.The boat it self is in excellent shape,transom solid and not rot anywhere in the boat.I realize the engine (235 hp OMC 351w)is going to need rebuilt which is not a problem for me! I was a auto mech for a chrysler dealership for 16 years,but my main concern is the outdrive .I dont know the condition of it and to tell you the truth a inboard is greek to me since all I have ever owned is outboards motor boats.I was told it was a stringer outdrive model#981105. If it isnt good is it possible to rebuild it and get parts or is there another outdrive I could possibly convert to the 351w?(funds are kind of limited,I just want to go the cheapest and best way possible)Like I said this Cobalt boat is in excellent shape,I just love it and I want to get it back in the water next summer. Thank you for any help Chuck

TimeBandit

Cadet
Re: 1977 19 ft Cobalt

I have the same boat, with the same engine and outdrive.... although I got lucky and mine only had 300 hrs on it when i bought it spring of 09. Changing over to another type outdrive is probably going to be too expensive and labor intensive to be worth the effort. You would need a donor boat, with everything still intact, including shift and steering cables etc etc, and finding all that for a Ford application is just that much harder. Plus you'd have to do extensive fiberglass rework to solid mount the engine, glass in the large hole that the stringer drive pokes through. The stringer drives get their name because the engine and outdrive are mounted solidly together, attached at the stringers, and hydraulic cylinders tilt (trim) the complete engine/outdrive assembly, vs a more modern system where the outdrive is attached to the transom and only the outdrive trims up and down.

Not only is yours a stinger drive... it is also the last year for the electric shift. The electric shift stringers have a bad reputation, but if properly operated and maintained are not bad at all, and will handle some decent power. The first issue you will have is rotted seals and shift wire insulation. The shift wires travel all the way down into the prop-shaft housing where electro-magnets engage either forward or reverse.

My suggestion is that you buy or download the OMC service manual and read up about what you have. If you are a mechanic, you can repair and maintain it yourself. It's different from what you are used to in the auto world, but it's really just nuts and bolts like anything else. But you WILL want to get the service manuals before you tear into it. I got mine on CD Rom off eBay for about $5.00 plus shipping and it's been invaluable.

Hope this helps.

I believe there are pics of our boat in my photo album here.

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1977 19 ft Cobalt

I just got mine running,it turned out that every thing is in great shape and has 436 hrs on it.so now I will service all of it .this is my winter project so I will have plenty of time. besides pulling the plugs and soaking the in oil I had to put on a new distrbutor cap,just like the owner said what was wrong with it Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its amazing how he remembered so much after these all years! Thanks again Time bandit!........... mine is a closed bow model.Do you have pics posted here of your boat I would love to see some