Price Check for Newbie

hopper777

Recruit
Hello All,

I'm a newbie looking to buy my first boat with my brother and father. My father really wants us to look hard at Cobalts. Since this is our first boat (owned), I'm leaning towards finding a used boat.

List Price: $62,000
Boat Year: 2006
Length: 24
Model Number: 246
Type: BR
Trailer: Tandem Axle Matching
Engine Make: Mercruiser
Engine Size: 496 MAG MPI B3
Horsepower: 375
Engine Hours: 66

Description
2006 COBALT BOATS 246. Bimini Top, Tonneau Covers, Compass, Wood Dash Upgrade, Black Leather & Stainless Steering Wheel,Transome Remote, Stainless Docking Lights, Flagpole, Motorbox Actuator, Extd. Swim Platform w/Lighting, Transom Shower, Transome Tilt, Air Compressor, Bow Cushion Insert, Dinette Table, Pump Out Potra Potti, Stainless Foot Tread, Dual Batt w/ Switch, Captain's Call Exhaust.

Thoughts?

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Price Check for Newbie

I'm on my second Cobalt, and I have to say they are a cut above just about anything else on the market. That being said, in this market I think that asking price is a little high. Not that the boat isn't worth it, but I just bought a 2000 293 for about 50% of blue book value. The deals are out there if you look.

hopper777

Recruit

Silly question = Is there a site where I can get book values of boats/new or used? I saw a section on boatus.com, but wanted to see if you had any other recs.

Thanks!

H

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hopper, I would strongly suggest you check with the group on Cobalt.net. This website is specifically for Cobalt owners and potential owners. And yes, they have a "for sale" section. More importantly, they will help you with realistic prcing, and which style Cobalt boat would be right for you, based on your needs. Make sure you spell out where, how, and with who you plan to boat. Boats are like shoes. Each has a specific forte', but many do the job okay for many functions. I am on my second Cobalt, and would not choose any other line of boat. Good Luck and happy boating....:D

hopper777

Recruit

Did you mean mycobalt.net? Didn't look like a lot of traffic on that site when I glanced at it earlier, but I'll check it out again. Cobalt.net looked like a consulting group's site.

H

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry about that. Yes, mycobalt.net. There is a forum for questions and a for sale section. It may look like there isn't much activity, but you would be surprised. Most that registered, have any new messages sent to their email address, so they can watch and respond. Good luck...

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check below:

http://www.nadaguides.com/

These are the same people that do car "blue book" values. They list that boat as equipped at about $42k. Figure another $2500 for the trailer. That being said, its not so much about what it is "worth", it is more about what you can get for it...

Also take a look at some of the online boat listings like abl boats, salty dog, etc.

For that kind of money in this market you may be able to pick up new(er) dealer stock like 08's or 09's that have never been titled and still have factory warranty.

Buzzards Bay

Recruit

I'm on my second Cobalt, and I have to say they are a cut above just about anything else on the market. That being said, in this market I think that asking price is a little high. Not that the boat isn't worth it, but I just bought a 2000 293 for about 50% of blue book value. The deals are out there if you look.

I am considering a 293. How do you like yours. I am looking for a boat to handle the Buzzards Bay Chop and occasional trips on the ocean along the coast from Mass to Maine and down by Long Island and south.
How does yours perform. Sept 2012

tpenfield

Staff member

I am considering a 293. How do you like yours. I am looking for a boat to handle the Buzzards Bay Chop and occasional trips on the ocean along the coast from Mass to Maine and down by Long Island and south.
How does yours perform. Sept 2012

You might want to start a thread to get some more specific input about the Cobalt 293. Does the boat that you are looking at have twin engines(or single HO engine)?

I am on Buzzards Bay also and am in the process of getting a Formula 330 sun sport. I looked at a Cobalt 293, but opted to go with the Formula. Originally was looking at the 280, but ended up with a 330.