Need help with operation of standard Cobalt depth finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennison17

Cadet
I have a 2004 Cobalt 240. Can anyone advise me as to how to operate the toggle switches on the standard depth finder to just provide the depth? All I can seem to do is cycle through the shallow alarm and deep alarm.... or set the unit to display in feet, meters or fathoms. I can't get it to just display actual depth. I believe the unit is functioning properly because this happened a year ago, and the dealer got the manufacturer on the line and we were successful in re-setting. This was a hassel. We had to be in the boat with the manufacturer on the phone.....yada, yada, yada. I'm hoping for an easier approach....

Mike250

Seaman
Re: Need help with operation of standard Cobalt depth finder

My guess is you have the same depth finder I have on my 2005 250. Pushing down on the toggle moves through the menu options. Once you get to the setting you want to change you toggle the switch up to change set-points.

You probably know this much already but as you toggle down through the menu you'll see something like "Un". Once you see this stop and wait a few seconds and it will show the actual depth.

I have the manual at home if you need details. Let me know.

dennison17

Cadet

Thanks. I believe it's the same unit. I'll try waiting when I get to the "units" display..... Typically, I've just got frustrated and toggeled up (to select "feet").... and entered into the same cycle all over again. I'll give it a shot today. Thanks.....

dennison17

Cadet

Hey Mike,

Thanks sooo much. I got the unit to display depth, but only after finagling with it again. I set all the alarms to zero and then it seemed to work just fine. I'm now afraid to touch it!! :)

I could sure use a copy of those instructions. Is it something you could fax me or send a copy? I'd be happy to forward you $ for your time and postage... Budman

Blaze5509

Cadet

are these things just touchy or what?? I took my boat out on our maiden voyage this weekend and the depth gauge was giving me the fits...once I got above about 7-8mph it would start going haywire, once back down under a "no wake" speed, it worked jsut fine...gotta get in there this week and see what thats all about?

Mike250

Seaman

dennison17, not a problem. I'll go ahead and dig it out tonight and make a copy. Fax or mail is fine with me just let me know where to send it. Glad to help.

Blaze, I'm no expert here but if it gives bad readings it could be the sensor is not glued down well or a loose connection. If it's the factory unit I'm sure it's in the correct spot and glued down well unless it's been knocked loose. If all else fails fill the bilge with enough water to cover the sensor and take it out for a ride. If it reads correctly it may need to be removed and glued down better. I think any air pockets between the sensor and hull will screw it up.

If that's no help maybe you have a bad sensor. What model and year is your Cobalt?

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some Cobalt?s use mineral oil between the transducer and hull. Remove the transducer from the mounting bracket and make sure the mounting bracket is full.

dennison17

Cadet

Mike,

Not sure you received my e-mails sent via the "send a private e-mail" via the iBoat option...

I guess US Mail is the best option...

Edited personal info!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike250

Seaman

Got it. I'll make a copy and send it out tomorrow.

dennison17

Cadet

Thanks Mike.... I really...really appreciate it! If there's anything I can do for you (postage, time spent, etc...) please let me know. I "think" the Private Messaging feature through iBoats. We could perhaps exchange perrsonal details (if needed) via that avenue.

Thanks again. You da' man!

drpeeb

Cadet

are these things just touchy or what?? I took my boat out on our maiden voyage this weekend and the depth gauge was giving me the fits...once I got above about 7-8mph it would start going haywire, once back down under a "no wake" speed, it worked jsut fine...gotta get in there this week and see what thats all about?

A muddy bottom can cause crazy readings. The unit can't read a continuous depth thru mud.

The sensor could have air between it & the hull; There needs to be none. You may need to remove it, clean it & re-glue it down with epoxy. Also, if there are air bubbles along the bottom of your hull so that the sensor is trying to read thru them, it can't read right.

jetski22

Recruit

I know this is an old thread but I have a Cobalt 246 with no luck on using the depth finder. Does anyone have a instruction sheet? Thank you

mk293

Recruit

I'm still sorting mine out as well. Sounds like the same unit as discussed above so even knowing the sequence of the menu would save alot of experimenting and BUZZERS.

jetski22

Recruit

There has got to be someone who knows how this is suppose to work. I know when I finally get to where the gauge is reading correctly, it just starts beeping constantly until i can't take anymore and I shut it off.

jetski22

Recruit

I finally got it figured out and it works like a champ!! It is easy once you know what to do.

Laker67

Cadet

Is there any way that you could elaborate on what you did. I have an 01 246 and the depth guage always reads between 12.6 and 12.8 but I'm not sure that I'm even setting it right. Does anyone please have an instruction manual or PDF that they could point me to to help me figure this out. Also where is the transducer in these things? Thanks so much for any answers given.:)

jetski22

Recruit

If you give me your email address I can attach the manual I used to get mine working.

Allen1954

Recruit

I just bought a 2004 226 Cobalt and can't figure out how to work the depth finder. Would someone please email the directions to me? email edited!

Thanks,
Allen

riverrat593

Recruit

To jetski22
I have a 2001 Cobalt 262 and am having problems setting the depth sounder switches also. If you could forward on that manual to my email that would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Edited email!

Union79

Recruit

I have this problem and ran across the post today. Does anyone have the depth gauge manual they can email me? Edited email

Thanks in advance.

If you give me your email address I can attach the manual I used to get mine working.

Status
Not open for further replies.