Cobalt Owners?

csterner

Cadet
Re: Cobalt Owners?

I just picked this up the other night. It was a great deal and our first Cobalt. She is a 1979 Cobalt Condesa with twin 350's. She actually came with every option including the factory camper top! There was an issue with a bad outdrive tilt shaft so I had to strap the outdrive up to bring her home. It is solid, but needs a good cleaning. These pics are the "before cleaning" stage. I can't wait to get that teak all shined up and the vinyl cleaned. Hopefully I can put her on the water this weekend!!!

Attachments

• exterior1.jpg
    exterior1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Cockpit 1.jpg
    Cockpit 1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • cockpit2.jpg
    cockpit2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0
  • cockpit3.jpg
    cockpit3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0

jamsac

Cadet

I really love the lines of the older hulls and especially like the look and setup of the cruisers. Those 23s with twin screws are just awesome.

James

brewcrew19

Recruit

Here's my baby......79 19br, 350 merc, completely remodeled the interior in 2009 (new floor and carpet, refinished the teak and seats) The blue gel coat stripe has some dock rash but am getting it redone the end of this month, can't wait!!

Does anyone know where i could find a used cobalt captains chair? I want to replace the back-to-back seat.....

Picture 221.jpg Picture 222.jpg

joe_nj

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What did you do to bring that teak ski platform back to that color - mine's grey on my 87 17BR?

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Just joined the forum.

Have a 2002 Cobalt 226 with a VP 8.1GI. Love it!

14338_1225696456661_1656526112_582255_3961569_n.jpg

Added the tower when I bought it, upgraded the stereo last year and adding a swim platform this spring. In the fall, the trailer will get sand blasted and repainted.

Expidia

Commander

Just joined the forum.

Have a 2002 Cobalt 226 with a VP 8.1GI. Love it!

14338_1225696456661_1656526112_582255_3961569_n.jpg

Added the tower when I bought it, upgraded the stereo last year and adding a swim platform this spring. In the fall, the trailer will get sand blasted and repainted.

Beautiful looking rig . . . Congrats. I see a lot of Cobalts around when I'm on Lake George in New York. Big bucks for the new ones!

Welcome to iboats :D

TimeBandit

Cadet

Here's my baby......79 19br, 350 merc, completely remodeled the interior in 2009 (new floor and carpet, refinished the teak and seats) The blue gel coat stripe has some dock rash but am getting it redone the end of this month, can't wait!!
Does anyone know where i could find a used cobalt captains chair? I want to replace the back-to-back seat.....

Hey brewcrew...I see you're in Quincy. I went to tech school there .... A long time ago. lol. I hear the school is no longer there. Welcome to iboats. I have a 77 19CD and love it. Good luck finding used cobalt captains chairs... You'll probably have to buy aftermarket and get them covered to match.

jamsac

Cadet

Hi, I just became the new owner of a 1995 Cobalt 220 . She has the 7.4 with Volvo Duo Prop OD . Looking for some good swim platform plans to build one myself. Already have some good ideas. Anyone care to share swim platform plans? Great looking boats here.

Cobalt018Medium.jpg

Cobalt019Medium.jpg

I just bought the EXACT SAME BOAT only a 1994 with a 350....Did you ever get a swim Platform?

I will post some pictures of my 1994 220. It has the 350 Chevy with the Volvo Duo-Prop. Im not that impressed with the speed. About 40 mph. Not sure if that is normal?

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here she is. Finally got around to posting a picDSCN0171.jpg

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are there any Coblat owners here??

Wow, nice to see where are the Cobalt Owners are. Maybe I can help quantify this for you. I am not very bright, I have three boats. One a SeaRay, the other a Cobalt. I love my SeaRay, not because of the name, but its what is underneath and how it is built with attentions to detail that makes me love it. Now, my Cobalt is a different story. It takes Cobalt 9 days to build a boat compared to the comparable SeaRay which I think is 4 or 5 days. Sure someone will correct me on this. Cobalt is meticulous beyond belief. There are more anal than I am. There designs are always ahead of the curve, they stopped making the 36 because they felt it was not up their standards. It also helps that I have a friend who has a Cobalt Dealership, so when I got out of college, I dreamed of having a Cobalt. In this class of boats, we all have our favorites, but I would struggle to find a better boat. They are limited production. They are immaculate to every detail. I love my 44' SeaRay, but my 20' Cobalt is the bomb. Had to replace it tomorrow, no questions, no hesitancy. There is no other. There expensive as hell, but worth it.

Good luck!

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2000 Cobalt 206
Volvo Duo-Prop

One last thing from the peanut gallery. Try and go white, not black. Volvo is so far ahead of Merc. Ok, here come the Merc fans. But I have a Cobalt with black, and my buddy asked my why the hell I did that? You see, he explained that the reason they sell Merc is because they know they will have service work. Volvo, nope. Have had three VP DP. Maintenance was much easier. Merc sucks. I know, I know, allot of you like them. Don't get mad.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought the EXACT SAME BOAT only a 1994 with a 350....Did you ever get a swim Platform?

Sweet. Have you ever looked at Smart tabs for the boat? Not the dolphin think for the drive, they don't work, they can't because the physics is wrong. But we messed around with smart tabs on a couple of boats, and I had them on tow of them, and we tested them with and without, and they rock. Cobalt is really *** heavy, The ride on your boat and whole shot will change. $100 buck at west marine.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beautiful looking rig . . . Congrats. I see a lot of Cobalts around when I'm on Lake George in New York. Big bucks for the new ones!

Welcome to iboats :D

Nice lines. I love the colored hulls until some idiot blows buy with a wake while your tied up to the dock taking fuel. My haul is yellow. Good choice on the tower.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello,

2 months ago I bought a '79 Cobalt 18th w/ a OMC 260. So far I love it. I just got done re-carpeting it. What a job that was! I am the 3rd owner and the boat has been taken care of very well. All of the upholstry, minus the carpet is in great shape for a 30 y/o boat. See pic. Got the boat, trailer and a bunch of extra stuff for $3200.00

downsized_0509091335.jpg

Where did you get your carpet? How heavy? I have mine ripped out as it is original, shopping around right now.

Thanks

jamsac

Cadet

I agree fully with the go white, er beige, not black. This is my second Cobalt with the Merc, wish it was a Volvo. I had a Bayliner with a Volvo, boat was ok, drive was awesome. When the drive on my present boat packs it in, which may not happen soon as it was like new when I bought it, and still so, I will replace it with a VP.