Chrysler "Commander" aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPK

Seaman
Hello everyone,
I am seeking information on an aluminum boat that I own called a "Commander". The metal nameplate on the transom states that it was built by Chrysler.
I wrote to Chrysler for information with respect to their history of boats but they replied with no records on the manufacture of aluminum boats.

The metal decal also stated that the boat was built in Barrie Ontario, Canada so I wrote to the Barrie Chamber of Commerce for archival information re historical industries in that community. Through an employee of the now non existent Barrie boat factory I was informed that the boat I own, although marked as being built in Barrie was indeed built in Fort Erie Ontario. Barrie boat manufacturing according to this employee was for boats made of fiberglass. Aluminum boats were built in Fort Erie.

The company in Fort Erie is known as Harbercraft. I have written to Harbercraft and received a reply of no existing records on this boat.

The boat in question is 14 feet in length and is rated for a 24 horse power motor. The serial number of the boat is 6900204. I am trying to find out if the serial number reveals the manufacturing date, say 1969 for example and if this boat has in fact the "foam pac" floatation in it that Chrysler pioneered.

I thought that perhaps someone here in the forum could help me with my research. I do know that Chrysler did expand into Canada out of Plano Texas, or so I have read.
I am making progress but it has been slow going.
Will be delighted to hear from anyone that can steer me along a little further.
Thanks so much.
Sean
Ontario,
Canada.
Update on possible identification;
Could this boat be a Lonestar since Chrysler bought Lonestar sometime in the 60's. Did Lonestar make a "commander" model prior to or at the time of the Chrysler takeover? Appreciate any thoughts members may have.
Thanks,
Sean.

Here are a couple of pictures of the boat to help with identification.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n532/spk54/Boatinsidepictureresized.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n532/spk54/Boatsideviewpictureresized.jpg

Last edited:

Jsphlloyd01

Recruit
Hello everyone,
I am seeking information on an aluminum boat that I own called a "Commander". The metal nameplate on the transom states that it was built by Chrysler.
I wrote to Chrysler for information with respect to their history of boats but they replied with no records on the manufacture of aluminum boats.

The metal decal also stated that the boat was built in Barrie Ontario, Canada so I wrote to the Barrie Chamber of Commerce for archival information re historical industries in that community. Through an employee of the now non existent Barrie boat factory I was informed that the boat I own, although marked as being built in Barrie was indeed built in Fort Erie Ontario. Barrie boat manufacturing according to this employee was for boats made of fiberglass. Aluminum boats were built in Fort Erie.

The company in Fort Erie is known as Harbercraft. I have written to Harbercraft and received a reply of no existing records on this boat.

The boat in question is 14 feet in length and is rated for a 24 horse power motor. The serial number of the boat is 6900204. I am trying to find out if the serial number reveals the manufacturing date, say 1969 for example and if this boat has in fact the "foam pac" floatation in it that Chrysler pioneered.

I thought that perhaps someone here in the forum could help me with my research. I do know that Chrysler did expand into Canada out of Plano Texas, or so I have read.
I am making progress but it has been slow going.
Will be delighted to hear from anyone that can steer me along a little further.
Thanks so much.
Sean
Ontario,
Canada.
Update on possible identification;
Could this boat be a Lonestar since Chrysler bought Lonestar sometime in the 60's. Did Lonestar make a "commander" model prior to or at the time of the Chrysler takeover? Appreciate any thoughts members may have.
Thanks,
Sean.

Here are a couple of pictures of the boat to help with identification.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n532/spk54/Boatinsidepictureresized.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n532/spk54/Boatsideviewpictureresized.jpg
Hi Sean, I have the same aluminum boat. Apparently, a rental company, previous owners or who ever used it lost the hid number (serial number plaque) off the transom.
It’s a very tough struggle to register it without the stamped number for dmv to start paperwork. Do you know how many years Chrysler made these commander boats? Start to end...Any information would be great.
Thanks
-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.