Chris Craft Owners: Register Your Boat or Restore Thread Here.

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Chris Craft Owners: Register Your Boat or Restore Thread Here.

can u tell me what all these # mean XLMCPR60M730 thanks

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's your hull number, timing_ca. I cant figure the code, but most Chris Crafts begin with a CC something and end with the year. The XLM would identify the boat manufacturer. Try a Google search maybe.

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the come back found out a little more about the boat,it`s a chris craft orlando clipper model. I had also asked about the mercruiser set up, my buddy thinks it`s been changed he says cc only used volvo penta, any thoughts. later Rob

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I became really curious about these Hull numbers and after researching it I think I became more confused.

Chris Craft made the Clipper Bow famous. Like the old Cutty Sark Clipper ship, the Clipper bow raked up and out sharply to a point at the rub rail.
DSC00547.jpg
The picture of your boat does that.

Orlando Clipper made boats that to some are even more collectible than some Chris Crafts. They were made in Orlando Florida and generally called the Orlando Clipper.
images

The were known for their extremely well-built Aluminum boats and were to some ranked above Starcraft (sorry pmccraney for mentioning Starcraft in your Chris Craft thread)

The XLM lead in you HIN number is the manufacturer code for Olympic Boat Co. from Gunnison, Utah. This company built boats from about 1973 to 1987.
http://boat-manufacturers.findthebest.com/l/14463/Olympic-Boat-Co

I think that the photo of your boat looks a lot like this one.
images

Which is listed for sale and identified in the sale listing as an Orlando Clipper. http://www.sellbuyclassifieds.com/l...w-37232-orlando-clipper-400-de-mossville.html

You can see the reasons for my confusion.

The fact is that the HIN is the legal identification of the maker of the boat as required by USCG rules. Where are you finding these HIN numbers. On your title? or stamped into the hull?

Since 1972 all huls must have a fixed HIN in a couple of locations. http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm I think the number you provided which ends in M730 would indicate that it was manufactured (M) in 1973 (73) during some month (0). The zero might rather be a C or a G which would indicate that the boat was built in the month of either October or February. IF it's stamped into the hull, it's legally an Olympic built hull from 1973. If it's from your title, you might have a different issue.

Let me know, I'm curious.

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice

now u see my confusion also,I ran the HIN and found the same as u about olympic boats,I've started another thread about it, As for the HIN I found it on the port side stern and will double check the last # and look around for more #'s on the boat. I'll be uploading more pictures next wk. Thanks for the interest and sorry oops didn't mean to high jack the thread,later Rob

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

BSnB,
You took the words out of my mouth... I was not aware of any Chris Craft models called an Orlando Clipper (and also knew that OC was a separate manufacturer, and they probably would have sued the pants of Chris Craft for using their name)... The lines on that boat look like a CC (very similar to my lancer), and they made a 23' model, so not giving up on that either. Do you have any lancer emblems (a shield) anywhere on the inside of the boat, the dog-house, etc... Also, do you have the Chris Craft emblems on the side? This one looks like yours as well, and its advertised as a 23' foot lancer.

3613540_0_20110523074705_1_0.jpg

Timing, I hope you find out what you have there... It may not be a Chris Craft, but it could be another valuable make... (especially, if its a clipper - folks are real "proud" of those)... Let us know what you find out...

Irrespective of what you find out, you are welcome to hang out here with us as long as you'd like...

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Chris Craft Lancer in your photo, McCraney, looks very much like his boat. I'd go so far as to say that it looks more like what I'd expect of Chris Craft than Orlando Clipper, which were typically aluminum boats. Also, Olympic out of Utah, from what I've learned, was primarily known for canoes and kayaks. Not so much for fiberglass runabouts. But the stamped manufacturer code has me stumped.

If he was picking up the HIN number from the Title, Id' say that he's got a Title problem and he might have a Chris Craft Lancer that has been mis-titled somehow. But stamped on the hull, not just on an attached identification plate, he's got something else. A UFO...Unidentified Floating Object.

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice

Oh I have more for u I did get the hin off a plate on the stern port side and the owner before the guy I traded with redid the floor so I'm going to check underneath and see if I can't find another # and if the owner put new stringers in then thats the only # available. I should have the boat by tue. and will upload more pics. bow to stern as to other marking's the only thing is a rubber tread plate with chris craft written on it, everything else has been replaced and carpeted. Question did chris craft use only volvo penta exclusively, this boat has mercruiser/302ford in it. Ok now I see what some of the confusion is about the boat thats pictured is a 23' Lancer,1972,in the post I originally started and I was going to get that one but the guy backed out, so I found another advertised as a Lancer 04172012095.jpg this is the boat that I'm picking up on tuesday again sorry for the confusion. Rob

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice

ok newest update...changed the o to a c and did the hin search at the top of the page and came back as olympic boat co. gunnisin,ut. so it's not a cc :( Looking on the brightside I do own a boat :D thanks for the info and I will post some pics.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

ok newest update...changed the o to a c and did the hin search at the top of the page and came back as olympic boat co. gunnisin,ut. so it's not a cc :( Looking on the brightside I do own a boat :D thanks for the info and I will post some pics.

Bummer... Its style a fine boat...Got great lines, etc...

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice

well the boats in the driveway :D:D Tomorrow I'll be washing and polishing. I'll upload the pics tomorrow

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Update:

I think I corrected the link to NorCal's Scorpion Thread.

I also added Ponderosa's 25' Catalina...

Update:

I think I corrected the link to NorCal's Scorpion Thread.

I also added Ponderosa's 25' Catalina...

Nice, just checked and the link IS working. Went through your thread also (Man vs Boat) good work so far.

sasto

Captain

After spending hours looking for some "hard to find" parts a friend led me to this site. They may have some Chris Craft stuff you guys are looking for.

http://www.chrisparts.com/index.htm

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Sasto... That's a good link. Thanks for posting.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is my 1999 200 BR with 5.0 Volvo Penta GL which I picked up for $4,500.

Attachments

• This one.jpg
    This one.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Splashed.jpg
    Splashed.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Augoose... That's a nice boat... I'd say you got a pretty good deal on that.

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pretty Chris Craft Augoose, and a good price too. How fast will she run?

Bruno1950

Cadet

Getting back to the forums here. Had our initial shakedown cruise (I emphasize shakedown) on Lake Erie last weekend in our 1988 Amerosport 284. We took a run out to Put-In-Bay from East Harbor and motored mightily through 1-2 foot swells. Stayed the day and when we came out of the bay and entered the lake the day had changed considerably. Swells 5-6 feet. After reaching port we found that there were a lot of areas that were in need of tightening, refitting, etc. This week we are getting the boat rewired due to years of rigging by previous owners and a new canvas convertible top. We're having a blast reviving this beauty. Talked to an old sea dog on shore who was working on an older CC and I asked him what he thought of them. He "I love em. These were made back when they built boats". I think I know what he means.Boat1.jpgBoat5.jpg

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the lines of your boat, Bruno .:rolleyes: