Any Chris Craft Concept owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broater

Cadet
Hey all. I just bought a 1996 21' Chris Craft Concept. I'm just looking for other Concept owners to share their experiences with this boat. I'm having a hard time finding much information on this boat and am wondering of others' overall experience of this boat. Anyone with manuals they'd like to share would be an added bonus! thanks!

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Any Chris Craft Concept owners?

Boat in my sigline. I have a downloaded copy of the original OEM service manual. Been a fun boat so far....3rd season.

jonfinn

Recruit

I've got a 1997 17 Concept that I bought in 2005 up in Lake Winnipesaukee (NH). At the time, it had 62 hours. I like it because it's small enough to easily trailer and launch by myself. Or I can take a few friends out.

So far, it's been great. I did smoke the engine after the first year because the impeller failed and there's no temp alarm in it (that I'm aware of). Live and learn.

Chris' Craft

Cadet

i have a 95 19 concept that i just purchased. its missing the port side windshield and i have had the devil trying to find a replacement. i did however find a company that will make an exact replication of it but they wanted $2600 for one side and $5500 for the whole thing which is obviousy outside what im willing to spend. mine has the 4.3L V6 and had a small sputter around 3000rpms. i took off the dist cap and cleaned all the contacts and ran a can of sea foam = no more sputter.

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a 97 Concept 17 as well. 14 years old and still cranks up year after year for summer fun. Only parts I've replaced over the years are power steering pump, seawater impellars, and circulation water pump.

maywmayw48

Recruit

I have a 95 concept 19 with a 5.0 (302) had to replace manifolds and risers were both caked with carbon. Runs great. I actually live 10 miles from the Chris craft plant, need to stop in there someday.

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1995 concept 21 that I have completely redone the cuddy cabin interior and rearrainged the seating to make it both a pleasure boat and a good Gulf Coast fishing boat. This has boat has been alot of fun and is easier to see out of if you raise the 13 inch pedistals to 18 inch. Good luck and be safe.

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice

I live in Crystal River Florida and bought my boat near Sarasota. It's funny you have named your boat Knot for Sail. This is what I was going to name mine. Reason being I have too much money in it to sell.

5.0concept

Recruit

I just bought a 95 21 concept this week with the 5.0 efi, i also have been having trouble finding information on the boat, anyone know the hp rating for the 5.0 efi?

drafter93

Cadet

The 1995 5.0 EFI was rated at 215 HP

i know this is an old post, but i had to share anyway. i just sold a 93 chris craft concept 197 with the 302 v8 (5.0). i only had it for one season and i absolutely loved it. great all around boat. smooth, fast and lots of fun. dont let anybody scare you about the OMC. its very easy to work on. i even changed the starter in less than an hour. i would buy another one in a heartbeat. happy boating

quandary

Cadet

I just bought a 95 21 concept this week with the 5.0 efi, i also have been having trouble finding information on the boat, anyone know the hp rating for the 5.0 efi?

I just bought the same boat (same year, same engine). Mine has a cuddy. I haven't put it in the water yet because it was stored for about five years under tarp (you should have seen the mold!). It's now cleaned up and sparkling, the engine has been returned to peak condition, and I'm hoping to get it in the water later this week.

I have had the same problem finding an owner's manual and specs.

It's my first boat, so I'm hoping that it gives my family years of fun!

Regards,

Jeff

XJpete87

Cadet

I just bought a 1995 Chris Craft Concept 21 bowrider. This is my second boat with the first being a small bass boat. I've had it out 3 times in the month I've owned it. So far I have been very impressed with it.. Very comfortable for the entire family to go out on for the entire day. This was the main reason for upgrading to a larger boat. I plan to set it up for fishing which I know is not ideal from this type of boat but I'd rather have a boat that I use then one that sits in the back yard because only 2 people can comfortably fit on it.

I too have had some problems finding information on this boat and drivetrain. I have a 5.0L EFI and cobra SX outdrive which is basically the same as the volvo penta SX outdrive. I've also found out that places like west marine think they can look up the parts but in reality dont give you the correct thing.. Best to take the part with you. So far they have had what I need but cant reference the needed part # in any of their books.

fou44

Recruit

recently bought a chris craft concept 25 1995 with 5.8l omc cobra sx drive the propeller15x17 is not the right one,it rev 5500 do anyone have the original propeler informations please

I just bought a 1995 Chris Craft Concept 21 bowrider. This is my second boat with the first being a small bass boat. I've had it out 3 times in the month I've owned it. So far I have been very impressed with it.. Very comfortable for the entire family to go out on for the entire day. This was the main reason for upgrading to a larger boat. I plan to set it up for fishing which I know is not ideal from this type of boat but I'd rather have a boat that I use then one that sits in the back yard because only 2 people can comfortably fit on it.

I too have had some problems finding information on this boat and drivetrain. I have a 5.0L EFI and cobra SX outdrive which is basically the same as the volvo penta SX outdrive. I've also found out that places like west marine think they can look up the parts but in reality dont give you the correct thing.. Best to take the part with you. So far they have had what I need but cant reference the needed part # in any of their books.

You can find your manuals on this thread. I have a 1995 Chris Craft 19 that has the same engine and outdrive.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=553492&highlight=1995+chris+craft+concept

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking for some info on a 1997 Chris Craft Concept Cuddy with a Volvo 350 fuel injected motor. I is all fiberglass and composites or does it have wood? I don't want a boat that may have rot.

Also, is this a quality boat? Is it self bailing?

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking for some info on a 1997 Chris Craft Concept Cuddy with a Volvo 350 fuel injected motor. I is all fiberglass and composites or does it have wood? I don't want a boat that may have rot.

Also, is this a quality boat? Is it self bailing?

Just saw this. My 97 has wood in the transom and stringers. I don't know if the bigger boats were composite or not, but mine definitely had a wood transom that was rotted at 15 years. Boat was not stored in the water, never spent more than a day at a time in the water. It did take some pretty hard hits from underwater object to the outdrive in its first few years of ownership until we got to know the river and lakes in the area. So that could have started separating the outdrive from the transom mount and allow leaking which took it's toll over time.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Just bought a neglected 1996 Concept 18. So far I've ripped out entire interior, cleaned, rebuilt the 5.0L (Ford) and VP SX (1.66) drive, replacing bellows (exhaust and drive) today. Boat was purchased from my boss and her husband for $500.00. The new motor (short block) was $1,000.00 and the misc parts, impeller, bellows, oil, cover, etc...were around ~$400.00. She's be re-splashed (sans interior) and the new interior will go in by January (no hurry, as it's winter and the boats not being used!) She's cleaned up very well. Has a fiberglass liner (in lieu of a plywood floor). Stringers, engine mounts, transom and deck, all appear rot free! Should be a fun and easily trailered boat for years to come...

CC Resplash 10-13.jpg

Last edited:

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just bought a neglected 1996 Concept 18. So far I've ripped out entire interior, cleaned, rebuilt the 5.0L (Ford) and VP SX (1.66) drive, replacing bellows (exhaust and drive) today. Boat was purchased from my boss and her husband for $500.00. The new motor (short block) was $1,000.00 and the misc parts, impeller, bellows, oil, cover, etc...were around ~$400.00. She's be re-splashed (sans interior) and the new interior will go in by January (no hurry, as it's winter and the boats not being used!) She's cleaned up very well. Has a fiberglass liner (in lieu of a plywood floor). Stringers, engine mounts, transom and deck, all appear rot free! Should be a fun and easily trailered boat for years to come...

View attachment 215337

Looks just like mine except a little longer up front. How well does it plane out and trim up with that heavier v8 in it? Find top speed yet?

I just got the transom rebuilt and did a basic tune up on the 4.3 v6 and it really came back to life. Came up on plane quick and topped out at 53 mph.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Looks just like mine except a little longer up front. How well does it plane out and trim up with that heavier v8 in it? Find top speed yet?

I just got the transom rebuilt and did a basic tune up on the 4.3 v6 and it really came back to life. Came up on plane quick and topped out at 53 mph.

This is a 2bbl carbureted motor rated at 195hp! It's WOT range is 4,200-4,600rpm! It has the 1.66 ratio drive and I boat at 4,900' +/-. Doing the math, allowing for 10% prop slip I'd be happy with 46mph! While not as fast as my previous boat (65mph GPS), it'll have to do? I might try a buddy's prop (21P) see what I can get? But that's more than likely too much pitch!? The boat weighs in at 2,610lbs before fuel, gear and passengers, so?

On my test splash I only took her 3,500 rpms, she planes very quickly, but 400lbs of interior is missing?!

I think the 4.3FI motors are the sweet spots for these size boats (best HP~weight ratios) plus they have 30 more hp and higher WOT numbers?!
I'll keep you all posted next spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.