New Owner (maybe) Chris Craft 328 Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

aguyindallas

Cadet
Hey folks...we are currently negotiating a deal (very close to approved by seller) on a 2000 Chris Craft 328 and I just wanted to see if there are any owners here and what they thought of them so far?

chipper165

Recruit
Re: New Owner (maybe) Chris Craft 328 Express

Hi, I am Paul from Scituate, MA. I bought the exact same model and year in April, trading up from a 24 ft open bow. I have used quite a bit, and am very happy with it. I was lucky as it was part of estate and lawyer wanted to sell asap.

Did you end up buying it?

aguyindallas

Cadet

No, we didnt buy...survey came back with a couple very serious concerns and we are not going to move forward with it.

MaddMaxx2000

Recruit

I have a '99 240 Express since 2001, been very happy with it but now looking to upsize to a 328. Looking for some feedback from any 328 owners (current or past) on:

1. Any particular years to shy away from vs. better years?
2. Are there any particular issues with this model or with any specific years to look out for?
3. Whats the normal cruise speed & rpm? Whats the WOT speed?
4. Whats the fuel consumption GPH at normal cruise?
5. Are there any web sites out these that have good info on the 328?

Thanks

apenney

Recruit

We are the second owners of a 2003 CC 328 that we bought in 2010. The PO had bought it off the floor of the Chicago Boat Show and put about 125 hours on it up until we bought it so it was in really good condition. It has the Volvo GXI option for engines with duoprop so each one has 320 hp. Gsi is the more common option out there. I haven't seen any with the mercruiser. I've only seen one out there for sale in the last year with the GXi motors on the market.

We haven't had any significant issues with ours...most "issues" have been very minor things that need routine maintenance/replacing on any boat...eg., change shower sump switch, a lose enclosure button....really, nothing to do with the overall construction of the boat itself.

Normal cruise at about 3100rpm gets about 32mph; WOT I've had it up to about 48 mph but trimmed properly it is supposed to hit at least 52mph, according to the CC dealer around here. I haven't calculated fuel consumption lately but I believe my ballpark estimate initially came out to around 1 gallon per mile at cruise (I may be WAAAAY off on this estimate so take it with a grain of salt).

The models seem to vary the most in a couple of features (maybe they were options at the time and have nothing to do with the year itself):

1. long vs short swim platform
2. the starboard side passenger seat cushion can fold forward on a hinge and the backside of it then serves as a firm step to go to the bow/deck....mine has a removable seat cushion attached with buttons.
3. wood veneer in the cabin varies from sparse to on all surfaces
4. cabin hatches on the forward deck: oval custom (PITA to replace) by CC versus square standard (if I could I'd have these)

I haven't found any good websites out there about the 328...mostly spotty posts here and there....and the ads selling this model. THere is an old CC site that has info on it..the best site thus far:

http://www.uippet.it/chriscraft_site/models.html

This has all the models for the year this model was being produced.

Where are you located?

Fab-Miami

Cadet

Hi apenney,

I just bought the very same Chris Craft and was wondering if you still have yours?
It should be great to exchance some experiences ;-)

FAB

apenney

Recruit

Hi apenney,

I just bought the very same Chris Craft and was wondering if you still have yours?
It should be great to exchance some experiences ;-)

FAB

We actually moved on to a slightly larger boat for doing longer cruises. If you have any questions though about the CC, let me know. We really enjoyed ours while we had it.

Fab-Miami

Cadet

Hi, thanks for your answer apenney

I'm desperately looking for the user manual for the Chris Craft 328 Express Cruiser, or Chris Craft 33 (as later called).

I'm now having a problem with the engine hatch that doesn't want to close.... anybody knows where is the breaker for that?

Thanks ;)
FAB

I am in the process of buying a 328 and really hope we enjoy it. ONE THING>>>The previous owners have the manuals and will be turning them over at close in two weeks. Let me know how you are all doing with your boats please.

Frank

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please guys - This is an old thread and it isn't a general purpose "Show Me Your Chris Craft" type of thread. We prefer starting new topics instead of opening the the oldies. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.