Chaparral H2O Sport 19'

dt342

Cadet
Hey all. I recently enjoyed the boat show here in OKC, OK and got my first look at the new H2O series from Chaparral. Needless to say, I'm truly impressed. Before I saw them I was contemplating a used, read several years old, Chap, Sea Ray, Cobalt, or a new Tahoe. I love the layout of the Tahoe boats but I am also fully aware that although they are a decent boat, they are a lower quality, entry level boat. They are even made in Oklahoma at the old Bayliner plant in Miami, OK which made me want one even more, lol. I have no doubts the Chaparral is a higher quality boat with a MUCH better warranty, I just want to see if anyone has had the opportunity to take one out yet. The wife and I have pretty much made up our minds on picking up a 19' Sport in a few months, I just want some real life input on 'em if possible.

I also love the fact that the new Chap's are priced within a couple hundred $$ of the Tahoes. For all the Tahoe guys out there, I'm not knocking your boat but I am saying Chaparral is of a much higher quality and now it looks as if I can afford a new one. Thanks ahead of time for any input.

BTW, I priced a fully loaded, although without the Wake Tower, 19' and it comes to $27,000. Just for info.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Chaparral H2O Sport 19'

Cobalt boats are the better brand of the lot that you mentioned . . . Sea Ray and Chaparral probably in the middle.

The only thing that scares me about the H2O series is how they are getting to that price point.

dt342

Cadet

I thought about that point too. I don't think they would risk their reputation on shoddy workmanship or inferior materials but taking a chunk of the entry level action can lead companies to do strange things sometimes.

TilliamWe

Banned

While I don't know what an H2O series boat is exactly, I will say that in the past, Chaparral has indeed made two different lines of boats. In the mid 90's it was LE versus SS. LE was entry level, no doubt. Then they changed the designation from LE and SS to "SSe" & "SSi". SSe was the entry level boat.
So if you can, compare that H2O series to a different line of Chaparrals and see if you can see where they trimmed costs. If the cost trimming is not in an area that will hurt you, then buy the H2O boat that you want. Good luck.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Cobalt boats are the better brand of the lot that you mentioned . . . Sea Ray and Chaparral probably in the middle.

The only thing that scares me about the H2O series is how they are getting to that price point.

Well firstly please post a picture of the 2012, 19 foot Cobalt. They don't go down that small so they aren't comparable. You need to go back to the 2001 model year. As for Sea Ray compared to Chaparral, yes the larger Sea Rays are comparable to Chap and they only compete at the margins, however, small Sea Rays simply arent comparable to small Chaparrals. Chaparrals at least throughout much of the 2000's build almost all of their small models exactly like their larger models. No cut corners, very heavy dry weights meaning extra robust construction etc. As TW mentioned there has been generally one price point boat offered that is comprable to the Sea Ray meaning dummbed down a bit from the tier up. As for the H20 Series, yes it is nice when compared to lesser brands given the low price point but some of the shortcomings in the H20 series are relatively obvious. One thing that I don't care for is the much lower HP engine options. The 18 foot Chaps have offered a 270hp I/0 option for quite a while and now you can't opt for those larger engines anylonger on that series. I'll say that most boat builders seem to have really picked up the pace on their designs if not on all of their accessories and dry weights. Even a Tahoe in the dealership looks pretty nice now.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

I recommen d you post your question on the Chaparral Forum at Yahoo. There are many more members there who are familiar with the Chaparral boats. Hy

jkust

Rear Admiral

Just an FYI but this month's issue of Boating Magazine tested the same Chaparral H2O you mentioned. It got high praise but I feel that they almost never give a negative review.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

I also cannot remember a negative boat test review in Boating magazine. I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Hy

Cadet

I wanted to comment on my experience with my new 2013 Chaparral 18' Sport H20 for anyone considering this boat, even though this thread is dated. Short version, excellent bang for the buck. Chaparral has not cheapened up the design, feature set, or materials when conceiving this boat. Excellent standard 3.0 multi port fuel injected engine, fast, agile, and fun.
The feature set includes exceptional upholstery and layout. It is very hard to find something to criticize except I would have used more acoustic insulation in the engine compartment, but it is not a show stopper. I am surprised how fast this boat can go. Handles just great. Up on plane in seconds, and it really takes off after that. There's no need for more speed-its plenty fast. Feels secure and my 10 year old daughter loves it. Excellent sun deck and bow to throw anchor and relax which my wife loves. I would have included the optional console storage and bow speakers standard, however this would have added to the final cost. Its a great value and a truly great boat. They sell fairly quickly-go get one. Very nice (and refreshing) to see this level of workmanship. I added bimini top, compass, depth finder, sunbrella/ cockpit cover and spare tire. I liked the no haggle pricing structure and financing from my dealer-that added to a very positive experience as well.