Chaparral 256 ssi: Is a Volvo 5.7 gi enough motor?

sb55

Recruit
I am between boats and am looking for a large (25' +/- feet) bowrder. I have found a 2006 Chaparral 256 ssi that seems in good condition with a Volvo 5.7 gi, 270 hp, DP motor. Is this enough motor for this boat?
I am thinking "no", but would like to know if anyone has this combo.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chaparral 256 ssi: Is a Volvo 5.7 gi enough motor?

I'm not familiar with that particular Chaparral; ours is a Signature 240. I suggest you post your question on the Chaparral Owners Forum at Yahoo. There are many folks there who are knowledgeable about that model and that engine. There is also a MAJOR problem with certain Volvo outdrives, which you want to avoid at all costs. Again, post on the Chaparral site. See you there. Good luck. Hy

jkust

Rear Admiral

I'm a little late to the party here but the 270hp 5.0MPI was the optional power for my 18 foot chaparral. Given that boat is exactly 2000lbs heavier, I'm going to say that although you will have more torqe with the larger displacement, you will be substantially disappointed with that engine.

shayward

Cadet

I had the same boat with a 300 Mag Merc. It worked fine. It had an efficient cruise at 3000 rpm. Running it much less than 2800 and the boat was running not right up. Top speed indicated was 50mph at 5000. I also had a 265 with a 425HO Not a huge difference in power and it ran 54 mph. Chaparral isn't stupid. If they built it, it works.

johnmsch

Seaman Apprentice

IMHO, that boat is WAY underpowered. I believe that was the stock engine for that model, but most people buying it new went for an upgraded motor.