Engine shuts down

davesch

Recruit
Good evening to all. I am new to this and have been doing some reading of other similar problems. First I own a 1995 Chaparral 1930 Sport, with a 5.7l, Alpha one. I have bought this as a fixer upper, the motor is fairly new, and the carpet and a few cushions are needing replaced. In all, it was an affordable boat for my family to enjoy and a pit for me to put money into. This is not my first boat, however it is of this kind. I have had it die out on the water three times now, and looking at the fuel gauge, it seems to be at about the same level, after using 17.5 to 20 gallons of a 40 gal tank. It will run great, start up fine, but has happened the last three times. I will be going along, and all of a sudden it will just die, not really sputter, but die. I can start it right back up and it might idle for a second or several minutes. When it starts this, I have had to continue to start and go about 5mph to get back. Doing this, it might run for 5 sec or for 2 minutes, it is drastic. I also sometimes have to pump the throttle a few times it get it to fire up, but sometimes it also doesn't work. I am kinda beside myself. I am thinking it is definetly a fuel issue; carb, hole is fuel pickup tube. I recently placed the fuel filter, water/fuel sep and it did it again to me this past weekend. Any help would be much appreciated. I know alittle about engines, i drag race a malibu with a 355ci and do all that work on my own. This is different and not sure where to start.

Thank you in advance,
Dave

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Engine shuts down

Check the big electrical plug on the motor. Sometimes if they are loose/corroded, hitting a slight wave jars them, killing the engine immediately.