2003 SS 180 carpet question

G22inSC

Seaman
Looking at buying a 2003 SS 180 locally that has carpet (non snap-in). I have no experience with Chaparral and was wandering what the floors are like. Does the carpet cover wood or fiberglass? Thanks.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: 2003 SS 180 carpet question

By 2003 I thought they had gone to fiberglass liners. But they also went to snap in carpetting with that. My 1997 with glued in carpet, most definately had a wood floor.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I actually have a 2003 Chaparral 183 SS. The 183 SS also known as the 190SSI is built identical to every other Chap (except the 180ss) but just smaller. What that means is the same quality of instruments and accessories plus build quality in the biggest Chap is the same all the way down to the 183ss but excluding the 180ss. The 180SS is the ultra entry level Chap meaning not only is it entry level small but is entry level in materials. I am actually suprised Chap even produced the 180ss as it simply doesn't fit into the Chap lineup quality. In any event with that intro, I'm going to say it is a non-fiberglass liner with a fiberglass bow area with some wood pieces below. You will do yourself a huge favor if you find a 183ss or a 190ssi as the difference is night and day but being a 2003 the price won't be too much more. As you are unfamiliar with Chaparral, you may have only just stumbled onto the brand. Chaps have some of the heaviest dry weights around where dry weight is a measure of how well and robustly they are built. In fact the 183SS is one of the heaviest 18 footer bowriders produced in the last 10 years, even heavier than the similar size Cobalt last produced for model year 2001. To compare the same LOA 180ss weighs 800lbs less than the same loa 183ss being 2100 vs 2900lbs. The best analagy I can give you is that Chaparral is like a Mercedes Benz and the 180SS is the Mercedes 190e of the lineup. By the way in 2004 the 183ss was rebadged the 190ssi.

Take a look at this link as it is the full color brochure for the entire 2003 SS and SSI line up. The bottom contains a chart that compares all the models. You will realize when you see it that the 180ss is as good or better than most other bowriders while the 183ss on up is better than most. Unless you view them side by side you won't even realize the 180ss is as entry level as it is.
http://forum.chaparralboats.com/publications/brochures/2003/ss_sportboats.pdf

TilliamWe

Banned

Excellent info jkust. I wasn't sure they still made their entry level boats in that year. In and around when my 1997 was produced, the "cheaper" line of boats were called "LE". And the good ones were the SS line. Just shows, you gotta pay attention and actually look/compare boats.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Excellent info jkust. I wasn't sure they still made their entry level boats in that year. In and around when my 1997 was produced, the "cheaper" line of boats were called "LE". And the good ones were the SS line. Just shows, you gotta pay attention and actually look/compare boats.

Yes the early 2000's were transition years for the SS line. I actually wonder why I see so few Chaparrals around here in MN other than the bigger lakes given there are two dealers in the state. You need to buy a nearly new smaller bowrider of most other brands to equate to what Chaparral was doing in the early/mid 2000's and even then it will be difficult to find everything in one brand. Larger boats, there was a lot of competition, but the smaller Minnesota sized boats, all the makers seemed to ignore or invest less in the under 20 footers. When my 8 year old boat still has one up on a 2011 of any brand 18 footer, that says a lot about the product. I realize much of that has to do with how slow the industry moves however.