Sunesta Holding Water

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
My `02 chap sunesta 243 has a propensity to hold water under the bow storage compartments( under the front cushions) when it rains inside the boat. I constantly have to use a sponge to soak the water out and then remove the cushons to allow to dry. Seems to me that there should be some drain hole down in the bottom to allow any water that gets inside to drain down and through the keel to the bilge.

Could i drill a hole near the lowest spot of the storage hold towards the center of the boat and make a drain for the water, obviously without going through the outer hull? Any suggestions.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Sunesta Holding Water

That's a reasonable idea, but ONLY if the hole would lead all the way to the bilge. My biggest fear would be that the water would drain into the lowest point of the hull and never reach the bilge. Then all that water would be stuck in the hull, and that's 10 times as bad as what you've got.

Draining it overboard would actually be better. That's how my anchor locker was on my 2135. Hole in the side, near the bottom that went out the side of the boat. Chaparral covered it up with a nice looking stainless steel cover.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

That's a reasonable idea, but ONLY if the hole would lead all the way to the bilge. My biggest fear would be that the water would drain into the lowest point of the hull and never reach the bilge. Then all that water would be stuck in the hull, and that's 10 times as bad as what you've got.

Draining it overboard would actually be better. That's how my anchor locker was on my 2135. Hole in the side, near the bottom that went out the side of the boat. Chaparral covered it up with a nice looking stainless steel cover.

I think the bottom of the under seat compartment is below the water line.

I just can`t imagine any boat manufacturer not designing a way for any and all water taken aboard not to be ultimately transferred back to the bilge where it could be pumped out or drained.

TilliamWe

Banned

Okay, well use more imagination! ;) Chaparral ain't the only one. They probaby think (and they are right) that the BOW of the boat shouldn't be getting THAT much water. Most people don't leave their boats uncovered in the rain, or do not use their boats when its raining. Drilling a hole may alleviate the water under the seats, but it's not going to keep your cushions dry.