Power Steering losing fluid

DL2130

Recruit
Guys I have a 2130 with 5.7 EFI merc and I am losing power steering fluid and can not see it in the bildge. I dont have water in the pump ahs anyone experanced this issue?

Thanks,

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Power Steering losing fluid

My 97 2135 began losing power steering fluid once. The low pressure return line had a hole in it, right where the steering rack rubbed against it. There is a lot of stuff for it to leak on, so it might not show up in the bilge right away.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Guys I have a 2130 with 5.7 EFI merc and I am losing power steering fluid and can not see it in the bildge. I dont have water in the pump ahs anyone experanced this issue?

Thanks,

I would suggest the PS cooler, but it is on the low pressure side and you would probably be getting water into fluid. Have you checked real close at the steering ram / valve area? A seal may be leaking by the are near output shaft to drive and getting slung off in all directions.

WILSONS88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had to replace my low pressure side hose at the cooler. It was a slow leak also. You need to look at the lines closely. They could be dry rotted and have pin holes.