Just bought my boat!

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Just bought my boat!

jefro, it won't "wear" at all. It looked trampled down the day it left the factory, and it'll look that way on 20 years. ;) Unless you actually tear it.

Seriously, my dad rode in my boat for the first time in 4 years after selling it to me, and that's the first thing he said, "Wow, this carpet looks all matted down, just like it did the day I bought the boat brand new!" hehehe

I'll tell you what, a few common sense 'rules' and the carpet should be ok. My rules are no shoes, let it dry when you're done with it and keep the sun off of it when not in use. One of our old boats is an 84 Bayliner in pristine original shape (folks bought it new) and the carpet is actually still 50% as new using my simple rules. It is really cheapo carpet too. Wash the fish guts off right away and avoid red gatoraid. I've seen at least one person on Iboats add snap in carpet to a formarly carpeted boat and yes it was a pretty big job.

As for the weight vs speed sometimes i wonder which is better, the extra 500lbs my 18 footer weighs over most or the extra 5 mph I lose for being heavy.

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

jefro, it won't "wear" at all. It looked trampled down the day it left the factory, and it'll look that way on 20 years. ;) Unless you actually tear it.

Seriously, my dad rode in my boat for the first time in 4 years after selling it to me, and that's the first thing he said, "Wow, this carpet looks all matted down, just like it did the day I bought the boat brand new!" hehehe

If I can get it clean, I'll be happy. We're pretty clean people, so I'm not too concerned about appearances. If it were a 32' cruiser I lived on, I might think differently.

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

I'll tell you what, a few common sense 'rules' and the carpet should be ok. My rules are no shoes, let it dry when you're done with it and keep the sun off of it when not in use. One of our old boats is an 84 Bayliner in pristine original shape (folks bought it new) and the carpet is actually still 50% as new using my simple rules. It is really cheapo carpet too. Wash the fish guts off right away and avoid red gatoraid. I've seen at least one person on Iboats add snap in carpet to a formarly carpeted boat and yes it was a pretty big job.

As for the weight vs speed sometimes i wonder which is better, the extra 500lbs my 18 footer weighs over most or the extra 5 mph I lose for being heavy.

I pick her up tomorrow. Too bad it is supposed to be crappy out- 42 and rain. I can't wait to see what a 5.0 EFI does in a 2700# boat. I'll let you know.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I pick her up tomorrow. Too bad it is supposed to be crappy out- 42 and rain. I can't wait to see what a 5.0 EFI does in a 2700# boat. I'll let you know.

We got snow overnight so I hear ya. Looking forward to the results. Take some pics and post em too.

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

We got snow overnight so I hear ya. Looking forward to the results. Take some pics and post em too.
She is sitting half in the garage right now. Picked her up yesterday while it was raining/snowing. Good thing I did, they left it outside and the cockpit cover (which needs to be waterproofed) was leaking through, so the floor was soaked. Lots to do, I'll get some pics posted later today.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

OMG...what an ugly POS! I will do you a favor and take it off your hands, so you will not have to be embarrassed driving it! No...really...it's the least I can do. Just tow it to my house and drop it off, and you wont have to look at that hideous thing any more!

You know I'm kidding. That's a nice tub for sure! You did well, young Skywalker. I hope it brings many years of enjoyment to your family! :D

TilliamWe

Banned

looks good jefro. Get that name off the back and you're all set! ;)

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

OMG...what an ugly POS! I will do you a favor and take it off your hands, so you will not have to be embarrassed driving it! No...really...it's the least I can do. Just tow it to my house and drop it off, and you wont have to look at that hideous thing any more!

You know I'm kidding. That's a nice tub for sure! You did well, young Skywalker. I hope it brings many years of enjoyment to your family! :D

Thanks. I think I'll keep it for a while...

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

looks good jefro. Get that name off the back and you're all set! ;)

Thanks Tilliam. Yeah, it's not a very family friendly name is it? Now I have to go through the renaming ceremony.