Just bought my boat!

jefro

Seaman Apprentice
Following the advice you all gave me, I just bought the boat. I had it gone over by the local Chaparral dealer and am confident I got a good boat at a good price. Now the real work begins... Thanks again for the advice.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Just bought my boat!

And...........where the hell are the pics?!?!?!?!?

Congrats, BTW!

TilliamWe

Banned

I like the "wide" step from the console to the bow. My 97 2135 SS had a step barely as wide as your foot. However, mine had a true center entrance and a sliding door to the cuddy. From the photos I can see some of the differences that make an LE and LE and my SS an SS. However, that boat appears to be in good condition. FWIW, the carpet looks exactly the same as mone did, and it'll never "stand up" or show any pile. It'll ALWAYS looked trampled down!

Enjoy!

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

I do like the center step. I looked at a Wellcraft 196 and it had a fold down metal step (like on a semi) that required a huge step up - no kidding - I got a cramp stepping up! Yeah, the carpet is pretty cheap and is very dirty. I believe it is glued down. Nothing a Green Clean Machine won't take care of... I figure on having this one for a few years. If we like it, a larger, nicer one may be in our future...
By the way, it comes with a GPS plotter - you can see it on the top right side of the dash. I may have a few questions about it. I am a private pilot, so navigation isn't foreign to me, but the unit on this boat is quite involved.
Supposed to pick it up this weekend. I will post pic's.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

I like!

If you need anyone to baby sit it and run it from time to time I'm your man :D

TilliamWe

Banned

I'm just warning you, even when that carpet is clean, it won't stand up or look "nice". It always looks trampled. And yes, it's glued to the wood floor.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the Chap family. That looks like a nice boat and glad to see you have the EFI upgrade. I'm sure you've owned other boats but yes glued down carpet is a bummer. If you don't fish, and don't have kids who spill and eat it isn't all that bad I suppose. One of the best and simplest improvements on the newer Chaps is snap out carpet.
Interesting that the 2130 Chap ss of the same year which is in a different league (foot wider beam, much higher standard HP, etc) retails almost the same as your LE. I don't give any credence to blue book values in general but this suprised me. More suprising is the 2130 SS (21 foot boat) with a large v8 weighs only 77lbs more than the contemporary 18 foot Chap with only a V6. Those earlier Chaps must really be fast.

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

I would have LOVED snap in carpet. Maybe I can upgrade it somehow. I look at this boat as a first step. It is what was available in my area, got a great deal on it, it's in great shape (the marina that checked it out wanted it if I didn't buy it), met my towing weight requirements and should be decent in the bay. If the wife and kid ends up liking it, maybe we go bigger and better in the future. I just didn't want to go all in on my first (non sailing) boat just to find out they didn't like it...

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

not enuf - thanks, hopefully we will keep her busy, but if your ever in Green Bay...

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She shure is purdy. You are lucky I love the cuddy cabins but my other half wont go for it.

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

The owner says it sh_ts and gits. I will report my findings.

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

My other half insisted on it. Something about needing a potty... Plus the additional freeboard will keep her dry, lol.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Plus the additional freeboard will keep her dry, lol.

Well...maybe the cuddy can help you remedy that situation ;)

Nice boat, man. You did good. The boat trader pics are ok, but you WILL be expected to post up some good ones when you get her home! Congrats again! :)

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

Well...maybe the cuddy can help you remedy that situation ;)

Nice boat, man. You did good. The boat trader pics are ok, but you WILL be expected to post up some good ones when you get her home! Congrats again! :)

I'll pass that on to my wife, lol. Damn, now I need a mattress and a disco ball... I should have bought that Signature...

TilliamWe

Banned

I would have LOVED snap in carpet. Maybe I can upgrade it somehow...

Sorry. The way Chaparral and others are able to use snap in carpet, is when they mold their soles with the top deck or the hull. So that it's actually finished fiberglass. You would have to completely gelcoat the wood that is under your carpet in order to duplicate the look. That would be expensive and very time consuming.
Nothing wrong with glued down carpet, despite what others tell you.

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, but it would be nice to be able to take it out to clean it. I'm not fond of machine cleaning it with wood under it. We will see how it wears and if there are any issues. Yes, it would be expensive.

TilliamWe

Banned

jefro, it won't "wear" at all. It looked trampled down the day it left the factory, and it'll look that way on 20 years. ;) Unless you actually tear it.

Seriously, my dad rode in my boat for the first time in 4 years after selling it to me, and that's the first thing he said, "Wow, this carpet looks all matted down, just like it did the day I bought the boat brand new!" hehehe